cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
GreenM
Level I

JMP 14.2 Mac crashes when I try to edit a formula

This just started happening suddenly and I'm not aware of any changes to system or other software in the computer since I was last able to successfully use JMP 14 without problems.  OS is 10.13.6 High Sierra.  JMP is version 14.2.0.  I've tried restarting the computer and reinstalling JMP 14.  I tried deleting the JMP preferences files.  There don't seem to be any other problems when using JMP, although I haven't used it much with this new problem because it cripples my ability to use it.  The crashes are immediate when trying to edit a column's formula, and occur no matter how I try to enter formula editing mode.  There are no error messages or crash diagnostics, the crash is immediate with JMP instantly quitting.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7
ThuongLe
Level IV

Re: JMP 14.2 Mac crashes when I try to edit a formula

How about restoring Mac OS to previous backup checkpoint?
Thuong Le
GreenM
Level I

ThuongLe,

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried it but it didn’t fix anything.

I’m wondering whether some other application is conflicting with it and perhaps that other application was automatically updated. However, I’m not aware of any updates between the time JMP was working with no problems and a few days later when it started crashing every time I would try to edit a formula.

There is one app I’m suspicious of though, because it started behaving strangely with JMP. It is Keyboard Maestro which allows me to automate keystrokes in any application. It has always worked fine with all applications but at the same time I noticed the problem with JMP I noticed that Keyboard Maestro would stop working with JMP even though it still works with other apps. I tried turning Keyboard Maestro off but that didn’t fix things. Maybe I need to uninstall it or turn it off more completely to see if that solves the JMP problem.
GreenM
Level I

Re: JMP 14.2 Mac crashes when I try to edit a formula (abrupt closing when editing formulas)

I'll try restoring the Mac operating system but if it is a conflict with some other app that recently updated itself I'm not sure that will help.  Maybe I should start up in safe mode as a way to see whether something that loads automatically during startup (such as the Keyboard Maestro app) has a conflict with JMP that is causing the problem.

I did just update JMP to 14.3 and that didn't fix the problem.

Thanks for the continuing suggestions.  Its a frustrating problem.

Could it be that the data table file is corrupted? Can you open other data tables without crashing JMP?

Craige_Hales
Super User

And if it is just that one table, you might be able to repair it by copying the table script (red triangle) and paste that into an editor and study the formula for obvious problems...then run the script. Just keep the () and {} balanced. (Assuming the table is not too big.)

Regardless, send in the crash file, if you get one, so the bug can be addressed.

Craige
GreenM
Level I

Thanks for suggestions from everyone.

The crash when attempting to edit a formula occurs with any data table, including tables that have never had a problem.

When the crash happens there are no error messages or any diagnostics or error logs as far as I can tell. Maybe the Mac OS has a log that could help identify what is happening when JMP crashes?

Hi there! Thank you very much for reporting this issue. When JMP crashes, do you get a prompt to send your crash files when restarting JMP? If you do get the prompt to send your crash files, and you agree to send them to JMP technical support, they should be able to help determine whether your particular crash is a problem that we already know about from that release. If there is a work-around or a fix in a later release, they should be able to provide that information to you. We fixed a number of crashes in the 15.0, 15.1 and 15.2 cycles, but without knowing the crash signature of this particular crash, it might be difficult to match it up to one of those fixes.

If you are not getting a prompt to send information about your crash to JMP, it might be that either 1) this particular crash doesn't create crash files (this is rare but happens), or 2) you may have multiple instances of JMP open, which suppresses the usual crash reporting prompt.

Feel free to send me a message through the community if you have already reported this crash to technical support and I would be happy to check into it further with them.

Thanks,

Shannon Conners, JMP