cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar

JMP 13 fails to open Excel files

Hello, 

I am JMP beginner and i have recently found a problem with my JMP 13 and specifically with the "open" option because i can't import Excel files and convert them into JMP tables.

Whenever i try to import an Excel file it shows me this error "There was an error opening the file".

However i can still manage to import my Excel files in JMP by dragging them to the JMP window, this gives me however the same error at first but opens the requested file afterwards. 

Is there a way to fix this ? 

Thank you. 

3 REPLIES 3
statman
Super User

Re: JMP 13 fails to open Excel files

First, welcome to the community.  I will admit, it has been some time since I've used JMP 11 since we are now at JMP 17.  Can you post screen shots of the window you get when you use the "open" option and select the file you want to open?  Also, perhaps, attach the excel file so we can take a look at possible formatting issues.

As an option, you can typically select all of the data and headers in Excel that you want to import, copy and then open a JMP table and "Paste with Column Names".

"All models are wrong, some are useful" G.E.P. Box
Craige_Hales
Super User

Possibly a mixed up XLS vs XLSX file extension. Try renaming an XLS to XLSX and see if that works.

XLS is an old binary format, XLSX is a more recent format using zip.

Sometimes the extensions get swapped (not sure why) and one of the JMP techniques for opening is a little more clever about trying the other way.

Craige
WebDesignesCrow
Super User

Most probably the Excel version. I have issues with .xls (2003 - 2007) version before this. Need to convert to .xlsx (2013 & above) to be able to open the file through JMP