cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
prmiszkiewicz
Level II

JMP 11 Java JRE problem

JMP 11 was recently installed for me on my business computer by IT department. It looks like during their installation no Java was installed, as I could find it anywhere. I looked on the SAS website, but could only find an information that SAS 9.3 supports Java 7u15. I couldn't find any confirmed info about Java version for JMP, so installed 7u15 (x86 version). Now when I try to connect to metadata server 7525_capture_002_10112014_111046.jpg

I keep getting the error message like above.

What Java version should I install?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Eric_Hill
Staff

Re: JMP 11 Java JRE problem

Hey, prmiszkiewicz,

Are you running 32-bit or 64-bit JMP?  If JMP is 32-bit, you need the x86 version of the JRE.  If JMP is 64-bit, you need the x64 version of the JRE.

With early JRE 7 installs, we saw a number of instances of this JRE corruption you are seeing.  To confirm your JRE is corrupt, you can go to a command prompt and type:

java -version

If your JRE is corrupt, you will not get a valid response.

I would suggest uninstalling the JRE you have and then installing the *latest* update of JRE 7, which looks like 7u71. We have not seen the JRE corruption with later updates of JRE 7, plus there are many important Java security updates that have taken place since Java 7u15.

Please let us know how it goes.

Thanks,

Eric

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Jeff_Perkinson
Community Manager Community Manager

JMP requires Java 1.7.

You can find JMP system requirements at jmp.com/system.

-Jeff

-Jeff
Eric_Hill
Staff

Java 7 is the same thing as Java 1.7.  Oracle has stopped using the "1." prefix on the numbers - too geeky.

Eric_Hill
Staff

Hey, prmiszkiewicz,

Are you running 32-bit or 64-bit JMP?  If JMP is 32-bit, you need the x86 version of the JRE.  If JMP is 64-bit, you need the x64 version of the JRE.

With early JRE 7 installs, we saw a number of instances of this JRE corruption you are seeing.  To confirm your JRE is corrupt, you can go to a command prompt and type:

java -version

If your JRE is corrupt, you will not get a valid response.

I would suggest uninstalling the JRE you have and then installing the *latest* update of JRE 7, which looks like 7u71. We have not seen the JRE corruption with later updates of JRE 7, plus there are many important Java security updates that have taken place since Java 7u15.

Please let us know how it goes.

Thanks,

Eric

prmiszkiewicz
Level II

Hi Eric,

thanks for the answer.

So my problem was that I had x86 Java and x64 JMP. Actually IT department told me to only use Java x86, but seems that they were wrong

I installed an older version (u15) and not the latest one earlier, because I couldn't find a specific information about JMP Java compatibility, but found this about SAS 9.3: SAS 9.3 Support for Java Runtime Environments

Then I thought that maybe JMP also supports Java only up to a certain update. Now I have the latest version of x64 Java and everything is working fine.

One more related question: if I install on my PC both 32-bit Java and 64-bit one (for example Firefox only works in x86), then will every application (including JMP) automatically recognise which one to use?

Thanks for help,

Przemyslaw

Eric_Hill
Staff

Hey, Przemyslaw,

While I can't vouch for applications other than JMP, which definitely finds the architecture of Java that matches JMP, I think you can be fairly confident that applications will launch the correct architecture.  Most (all?) Windows applications use the Windows Registry to find Java, and 32-bit applications are going to automatically look in the 32-bit registry and 64-bit applications are going to automatically look in the 64-bit registry.  An application would have to work pretty hard to end up trying the wrong bitness of Java (which would fail).

Eric