cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
ehchandlerjr
Level V

Issue with custom format equation in JMP column

Hello - I'm playing around with the custom format for a numeric column, and for some reason I'm unable to get it to return the value in a way other than a bunch of hash symbols. I did the same format as the guidance in the documentation

Or if your data is in meters and you want to show it in kilometers with the unit, add the formulaChar(:value / 1000) || " km".

ehchandler_1-1702159301093.png

This is a formula column, but I tried it with a regular input column, and it did the same thing.

Edward Hamer Chandler, Jr.
1 REPLY 1
Craige_Hales
Super User

Re: Issue with custom format equation in JMP column

I'm not sure what char(value||":1") is doing. I think you want char(value)||":1".

The # are the indicator that the value would not fit in the 12 character width. You might try 30 instead of 12, but if it is an error message it might be longer.

It is possible the ratio of acetone/water is making a char value longer than 12. You might want to use the format function on that ratio before appending ":1". Char also has extra parameters:

10 is more than enough, but you can see the 4's effect.10 is more than enough, but you can see the 4's effect.

You can also add show(value), etc, in the formula and check the log. Something like

show(value); char(value,5,2)

would run the two statements, in order, and return the 2nd statement's result.

Craige