cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
DIVIDESbyZER0
Level III

Is there a way to remove the labels on the x-axis of a control chart for a point that was hidden? (Without deleting that row)

Is there a way to remove the labels on the x-axis of a control chart for a point that was hidden?  (Without deleting that row)

I have hidden/excluded certain rows but when I create control chart they still appear on the plot but with blank spaces where the points should be.  I would like to excluded the sample label for the hidden values all together.  Is this possible?

5 REPLIES 5
Flojgaard
Level II

Re: Is there a way to remove the labels on the x-axis of a control chart for a point that was hidden? (Without deleting that row)

I am curious to know whether a solution has been found for this...?
The issue seems to persist in JMP 14.2.0.
Thanks.
Christian Flojgaard
MSc Eng.
E-mail: christian_flojgaard@hotmail.com

Re: Is there a way to remove the labels on the x-axis of a control chart for a point that was hidden? (Without deleting that row)

Perhaps there is a way to get what you want, but it will depend on the specifics of your situation. Please keep in mind that control systems (and therefore control charts) will typically collect data at regular intervals or over regular areas. Therefore JMP is expecting this as should any control charting system.

I assume you used the Control Chart Builder. From the red triangle popup menu, choose Show Excluded Region. The purpose of this command is that it will automatically adjust the Y-axis as if the excluded data did not exist. However, if you do NOT have a label for the x-axis, it will effectively remove that row from the display.

If you DO have a variable specified for the x-axis, the label will still appear for hidden and excluded data. That is by design because in a control chart, you are supposed to show all data, even out of control conditions. (although you often do remove from the calculations). Also, good industry practice for control charts is to show when data is missing as well, which is why the label for hidden and excluded rows will still exist. It shows that data is missing.

Dan Obermiller

One other option that I forgot to mention. If you have a continuous variable as your x-axis, try changing it to nominal. That may also work for you.

Dan Obermiller
Flojgaard
Level II

Hi Dan.
Thank you for explaining the concept of control systems and control charts ;)
I however use JMP for analyzing various situations and time frames of a production, where it is necessary to exclude chunks of data to be able to describe "what if"s.
The feature in the CCB that you describe works. It would be great to have that same option in the regular control charts.
Thank you for your help.
Br, Christian
Christian Flojgaard
MSc Eng.
E-mail: christian_flojgaard@hotmail.com

Your requests are important to JMP development. You should post them to the Wish List portion of this Community after searching to see if someone else has already entered the same request. (If someone else has requested this feature, then you can add your vote!)

I am not speaking for JMP development or their specific plans but the trend for several areas of JMP, including control charts, involves a new paradigm with the eventual deprecation of the older paradigm. Control Chart Builder is the new paradigm. (Another such new paradigm is Graph Builder.) You will see in JMP 15 that the legacy platforms are still available during the transition period but they have been segregated to emphasize that their life is coming to an end. If you select a specific type of control chart from Analyze > Quality menu, you will launch Control Chart Builder already set up as the type you wanted. You have to go a level deeper into the legacy portion of the menu to actually launch the platforms from the older paradigm.

So I would expect development consideration and effort to be spent on Control Chart Builder for the most part, not the legacy platforms.