cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
xiaoyaj0
Level III

Is there a quick way to extract descriptive statistics from a data table?

I need the mean and SD for 203 items. Is there a way I can get them quick via JMP? Thank you!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
David_Burnham
Super User (Alumni)

Re: Quick way to extract descriptive statistics

Cols> Column Viewer

Screen Shot 2018-01-24 at 22.26.51.png

-Dave

View solution in original post

cwillden
Super User (Alumni)

To add to @David_Burnham's answer, you can very quickly get these results into a data table by right-clicking on the table in the report and selecting "Make into Data Table"

-- Cameron Willden

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
David_Burnham
Super User (Alumni)

Cols> Column Viewer

Screen Shot 2018-01-24 at 22.26.51.png

-Dave
cwillden
Super User (Alumni)

To add to @David_Burnham's answer, you can very quickly get these results into a data table by right-clicking on the table in the report and selecting "Make into Data Table"

-- Cameron Willden
xiaoyaj0
Level III

Thank you, David and Cameron! Never used the Column Viewer function before--it is fantastic! Actually right after I posted the question, I realized that Excel could have done it quick and easy, so I just did it in excel; next time I will know how to do it in JMP.

Follow up question: is there a way to add skew and kurtosis to the summary statistics in Column Viewer? I know how to do it in distribution. Thank you!

cwillden
Super User (Alumni)

hi @xiaoyaj0,

You won't get skewness and kurtosis from Column Viewer, but you can actually do essentially the same thing I suggested for the Column Viewer in Distribution (I should have pointed this out in my first reply, lol).  Right click in the summary statistics table and select "Make Combined Data Table".  You will get a table with summary statistics for each column you have plotted in Distribution.  At first, it will be in a long format like the screenshot below:CombinedTable.PNG

It's probably better to have this in a wide format, so I would recommend splitting Column 2, split by Column 1, and grouped by Y.SplitDialog.PNG

Your final table will look something like this:SummaryTable.PNG

-- Cameron Willden
xiaoyaj0
Level III

WOW, this just blew my mind. I just tried and it totally worked. I have been using JMP for almost three years, but never knew these functions! Now I feel like I am ready to fly!

Since you have been so SUPER, I have another nagging question that you might be able to help  me: when I imputate a dataset, the new imputated table never has the original group with them (in this case, it is "Level"). In another word, only the numbers show in the imputated table. Is there a way to get the words to come as well? Now I just go back to the original table and copy that column. I wonder if there is a setting to adjust that. Screen Shot 2018-01-25 at 8.12.23 AM.png

What version of JMP are you using?  You shouldn't be getting a new data table output with Multivariate SVD or Multivariate Normal Imputation.

xiaoyaj0
Level III

JMP Pro 13

I should have also asked how you are doing your imputation - what method are you using?  Not that it should be any different, but I see you are also using a Mac.  When I do either multivariate normal or multivariate SVD imputation on my Windows machine my original table is updated with the imputed values, no new table is created.

xiaoyaj0
Level III

So i go to Analyze-Multivariate Method-Multivariate-Imputate. Thanks for helping, Bill!