cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New to using JMP? Hit the ground running with the Early User Edition of Discovery Summit. Register now, free of charge.
Register for our Discovery Summit 2024 conference, Oct. 21-24, where you’ll learn, connect, and be inspired.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
mtowle419
Level I

Is there a function that returns a list of messages an object responds to?

Ex.:

nt = new table();

nt << messages;

=> { get column names, etc }
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
txnelson
Super User

Re: Is there a function that returns a list of messages an object responds to?

The Scripting Index can show you all of the messages that can be sent to an object, such as a Data Table

txnelson_0-1723859619508.png

Jim

View solution in original post

MathStatChem
Level VI

You can also use

nt=new table();
show properties(nt);

This will show (most?) of the messages the object will accept, but doesn't show the full syntax required for each message.  

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
txnelson
Super User

The Scripting Index can show you all of the messages that can be sent to an object, such as a Data Table

txnelson_0-1723859619508.png

Jim
mtowle419
Level I

The thing with the Scripting Index is, I feel like I’ve noticed missing messages as well as deprecated ones.

Other languages do implement this, btw. Ruby has it.

Thanks for your reply; I’ll accept it as a solution.
txnelson
Super User

You should add your idea to the JMP Wish List

Jim
MathStatChem
Level VI

You can also use

nt=new table();
show properties(nt);

This will show (most?) of the messages the object will accept, but doesn't show the full syntax required for each message.  

jthi
Super User

I use all of Show Property(obj), Scripting Index, Scripting Guide and JSL Syntax reference (Scripting Index is definitely the most important one for me). For JSL Syntax reference I tend to utilize the .pdf as I consider JMP Help pages search to be so horrible that it cannot be used https://www.jmp.com/en_fi/support/jmp-documentation.html (you can also get Scripting Guide and other documentation as .pdf). Or first I use Scripting Index and then click topic help as this helps (hopefully) to navigate to correct page on JMP Help.

Be careful though, different documentation do not necessarily agree... JMP Scripting Index feedback and discussion this is a bit old topic now and some of my understanding has improved since regarding the syntax but if I remember correctly it does contain some examples of discrepancies between different documents.

-Jarmo