cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
BHarris
Level VI

Is it possible to plot multiple CDFs on the same plot?

Suppose I have a dataset of heights of men and women in a university, is it possible to plot two cumulative distribution function (CDF) lines on the same plot, one for men and one for women?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ron_horne
Super User (Alumni)

Re: Is it possible to plot multiple CDFs on the same plot?

Hi @BHarris 

the answer is yes.

if you use the Fit Y by X platform you can ask for the CDF plot as in the picture. you can also set it up from the preferences so it will be presented by default each time you produce a oneway analysis. 123.png

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
ron_horne
Super User (Alumni)

Hi @BHarris 

the answer is yes.

if you use the Fit Y by X platform you can ask for the CDF plot as in the picture. you can also set it up from the preferences so it will be presented by default each time you produce a oneway analysis. 123.png

BHarris
Level VI

Can I just say, that's incredibly unintuitive to my brain -- I never would've thought to look there. Why was that feature put there? Is there something special about the fit-y-by-x manipulation of the data that makes the CDF possible?

(I've used this many dozen times since you responded to this, thanks again for your help!!)

The location of the parallel CDF plots makes sense to me. You can get the CDF plot in the Distribution platform, but that is a univariate analysis. You can use a grouping variable in the By analysis role, but then you get separate CDF plots.

The Oneway platform, through the Fit Y by X command, uses two variables, a response and a factor. It is for comparing groups in various ways including the CDF.