cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
jbenzetti
Level I

Is There a Way to Determine the Mean for Selected Rows While Viewing in a Chart or Graph

Hi, 

I was working with a variability chart today and I wanted to compare the means of two groups of data, each group being a subset of the data that I selected using in the chart by selecting those points and excluding/hiding the rest of the points in the data table. Does anyone know of an interactive way to do this without making a new data table? The reason for this is I wanted to select data that were relative to a point I was trying to make and show it graphically. Hopefully the attached file helps. I'd like to show the mean of the data in the blue cirlce and compare it to those in the red circle after excluding all other rows. Again, there is no significance to this other than trying to make a point within the context of the entire data table. Cheers.

JMP Example of Selecting Data Graphically for Illustration Purposes.jpg

3 REPLIES 3
txnelson
Super User

Re: Is There a Way to Determine the Mean for Selected Rows While Viewing in a Chart or Graph

There are multiple ways to do this. What I suggest you do, is to Go to the red triangle on the report, and select "Variability Report".  Then go back to the red triangle and select "Local Data Filter".  In the filter, select the variable you want to be selecting on.  Then you can move between values in that variable and it will generate the new means and standard deviations, etc.

You can also turn on the Automatic Recalc option, and then select the data points you want, invert the selection and then specify to exclude the values.  That will also recalculate the values.  The Local data filter just does that automatically.

The documentation on this is in the Using JMP document.

Help==>Books==>Using JMP==>Local Data Filter

Jim
jbenzetti
Level I

Re: Is There a Way to Determine the Mean for Selected Rows While Viewing in a Chart or Graph

Thank you, that helped and I learned something. Is there a way to show the mean of selected groups (three of the years together while excluding other years)? When I filtered the data, the "show group means" option within the red triangle went away (greyed out). Any idea why that is the case? Thanks!!

txnelson
Super User

This is taken from the Help Screens for the Variability Chart

Show Group Means
(Available only if you have two or more X, Grouping variables or one X, Grouping variable and one Part, Sample ID variable) Shows or hides the mean for groups of cells, represented by a horizontal solid line. A window appears, prompting you to select one of the grouping variables.
Jim