cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
blumarble
Level I

Interpreting PLS regression coefficients for a binary categorical variable

I used Fit Model with the Partial Least Squares personality to create a model for a continuous dependent variable. Explanatory variables include several continuous variables and a categorical variable with two options, A or B. I understand that option A and B are treated as separate dummy variables. When I run the fitting, the regression coefficient for option A is about -0.4 and the regression coefficient for option B is a similar value. How could this be? I assumed that the coefficient for option A was determined relative to option B, and expected the two coefficients to be different, at the very least.

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Interpreting PLS regression coefficients for a binary categorical variable

The parameterization of the linear predictor in JMP is such that the coefficients for a categorical term must sum to zero. Here is an example of a PLS regression using the Fitness data set. The dependent variable is Oxy. Notice that the two-level predictor Sex has coefficients of equal magnitude but opposite sign.

Capture.JPG

Is that what you see in your case?

blumarble
Level I

Hi Mark, thanks for your reply. My two-level predictor actually has coefficients -0.3160 and -0.2881. I've centered and scaled my data and also double checked that there were only two levels for this predictor in the whole dataset.

I don't know. Maybe another member has the answer.

Otherwise, contact JMP Technical Support (support@jmp.com). Please reply with their answer if you do seek their help.