cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
‘New to using JMP? Hit the ground running with the Early User Edition of Discovery Summit – register now, free of charge.
Register for our Discovery Summit 2024 conference, Oct. 21-24, where you’ll learn, connect, and be inspired.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
capr
Level II

Interaction Profiles - automated display of panels based on factor inclusion

My question is how JMP controls the display of panels of Interaction Profiles plots that correspond to factors not included in the associated model.

Does JMP consistently display such panels differently from panels corresponding to factors that are included?

I would like to distinguish factors included and omitted (within the model) on JMP Interaction Profiles. In my experience this operation is done automatically in some cases but not others.

In the first screenshot(1-No_distinction) I've  manually indicated the terms included in the model with asterisks (*). 

JMP did not distinguish the display of the panels based on inclusion of factors.

In a different JMP workbook the plots corresponding to factors not included in the model are dashed lines and appear with dimmed intensity (2-With_distinction).

8 REPLIES 8
capr
Level II

Re: Interaction Profiles - automated display of panels based on factor inclusion

1-No_distinction1-No_distinction2-With_distinction2-With_distinction

embedding screenshots instead of attaching

statman
Super User

Re: Interaction Profiles - automated display of panels based on factor inclusion

I may not understand your situation, but JMP will only give plots for the terms in the model.  If terms are confounded (aliased), then you will get dashed lines to indicate this.

"All models are wrong, some are useful" G.E.P. Box
capr
Level II

Thank you. In the top example, the three plots without asterisks are for interaction terms not in the model. Yet, they are not displayed in dashed lines. Could  you please elaborate on the aliasing of terms?

statman
Super User

Can you post your data table (anonymize it).  You should not be getting any plots for terms not in the model.

If, for example, you run a fractional factorial design and do the analysis with a saturated model, the interaction plots will show dashes indicating there are aliased terms.  Here are the interaction plots from a 2^4-1 res IV experiment.  Since 2nd order effects are aliased, you see the dashed lines for the aliased interactions.

Screenshot 2024-08-14 at 12.01.20 PM.jpg

capr
Level II

The screenshot is from the top row (pertaining to factor "A") of the interaction profiler for the attached workbook – accessed via the embedded script Interaction Profiles. The script contains the model.

Only A*B and A*F are interaction terms included in the model for factor A. Yet, the interaction term plots are not greyed out or dashed for A*C and A*D nor A* E, as I have discussed in the preceding posts.

2024-08-14 14_43_04-307_IP_upload - Fit Group - JMP Pro.png

statman
Super User

If you look at the Model it appears all 2nd order factor interactions are in your model.  Hence you will see the interactions.

Screenshot 2024-08-14 at 2.39.18 PM.jpg

If I modify your model with just AB and AF, this is what you get:

Screenshot 2024-08-14 at 2.40.18 PM.jpg

capr
Level II

Thank you! in response - can you please address why A*C-E do not appear in the Effect Summary? 

What I have intended in the model derivation/analysis was to include these terms initially, but then they were eliminated based on significance/contribution.

In other  work, eliminated interaction terms not appearing in Effect Summary  are grayed out/dashed in Interaction Profiles.

capr_0-1723669050745.png

statman
Super User

Well if I wager a guess it's because you removed them.  Here is the effect summary with your model (except I removed the D*D since it was aliased) before any terms are removed:

Screenshot 2024-08-14 at 3.25.00 PM.jpg

I'm not sure what exactly you are doing, but I removed AE from the Effects Summary and here is the Interaction Profile.  Notice the AE interaction is greyed out.

Screenshot 2024-08-14 at 3.28.18 PM.jpg

 What version JMP are you running?