cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
natalie_
Level V

Input Boxes in Application Builder

Hi everyone,

I am just learning how to use the application.  The only time I have ever created a user interface, it was with Lab View.

Anyhow, I would like to have input boxes.  I need a box where someone can enter the path to find the file and select which voltage to find corresponding currents at.  I have made buttons so far to do this, but it is one button for each input, and I think that once the button is pushed, the input is lost (could be wrong).  Once I have these inputs, then I can create plots, etc.

Could someone please advise me or give me a hint about how I can do this in JMP? 

Here is my script so far in the builder: 

SelectPathPress=Function({this},

// This function is called when the button is pressed

path = Pick Directory("Select CP1 Directory.");

name = this << Get Button Name;

);

SelectCP2DirectoryPress=Function({this},

path = Pick Directory("Select CP2 Directory.");

name = this << Get Button Name;

);

EvaluationVoltagePress=Function({this},

New Window( "New Window",

<<Modal,

// Get user input,

V List Box(

Spacer Box(size(10,10)),

Text Box ("Enter voltage:"),

Spacer Box(size(10,10)),

voltage = H List Box(Number Edit Box()),

Spacer Box(size(10,10)),

H List Box(

b=Button Box( "OK",<<Close Window

// Proceed with option 1

),

Button Box( "Cancel", Throw( "Script cancelled by user." ) )

)));

Caption({1,1}, char(displayvoltage));

);

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Craige_Hales
Super User

Re: Input Boxes in Application Builder

make a text box and a button.  Make the text box VariableName "filename" and change the title of the button.  Note the distinction between variable name and title; there will be a JSL variable filename that points to the text box holding the file's name.  And the button will have a title on its face.

Your script should look like this

filename<<settext(path);

);

filename is the variable name that you gave the textbox.  You don't need the boiler-plate "name = this << Get Button Name;" that App Builder gave you as an example.

Your next button will also have a script, and it can retrieve filename<<gettext and do something with it.

Eventually you may wish you had named the buttons with meaningful variable names (in addition to their titles).  You would use the button's variable name to enable and disable the button.  Here, button2 (title and variable) was disabled by the pick file button, and it would be so much better it it said GenerateReportButton<<enable(0)

10887_pastedImage_11.png10888_pastedImage_12.png

Craige

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Craige_Hales
Super User

make a text box and a button.  Make the text box VariableName "filename" and change the title of the button.  Note the distinction between variable name and title; there will be a JSL variable filename that points to the text box holding the file's name.  And the button will have a title on its face.

Your script should look like this

filename<<settext(path);

);

filename is the variable name that you gave the textbox.  You don't need the boiler-plate "name = this << Get Button Name;" that App Builder gave you as an example.

Your next button will also have a script, and it can retrieve filename<<gettext and do something with it.

Eventually you may wish you had named the buttons with meaningful variable names (in addition to their titles).  You would use the button's variable name to enable and disable the button.  Here, button2 (title and variable) was disabled by the pick file button, and it would be so much better it it said GenerateReportButton<<enable(0)

10887_pastedImage_11.png10888_pastedImage_12.png

Craige
natalie_
Level V

Thank you, I think I have an idea now of what I want to do.  Is it possible to have some buttons disabled as soon as application is ran? I would like to have a new button enabled only after a file has been picked.

I tried disabling button2 with the line ​button2<<enable(0)​ before the selectPathPress function and under "Application" instead of "Module 1".  Neither is working.

You should be able to send the <<enable(0) message from the script for Module 1, but it has to appear after the line "thisModuleInstance << Create Objects".  Before this point, the Button1 name is not attached to anything.

This will not work from the Application script, because the Application script runs before any module is created, and therefore before the button has been created.

natalie_
Level V

Thank you!  I shouldn't have deleted everything....