cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
jp
jp
Level I

Increase "levels" in JMP

Hello, I'm a bit of a JMP beginner was hoping to get some help with the following:

Is there anyway to increase the default number of levels from 30, to something higher?

I'm trying to build a regression tree on some data, with various categorical variables with levels ranging from 31-111.

Cheers for any help

JP

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Jeff_Perkinson
Community Manager Community Manager

Re: Increase "levels" in JMP

Hi JP,

I think you're referring to the Partition platform and hoping to use a categorical column with more than 30 levels as an X variable.

There is a limit on the number of levels a categorical X variable can have, described below:

-If the Y variable is continuous, there is no limit on the number of levels an X variable can have.

-If the Y variable is categorical with 2 levels, there is no limit on the number of levels an X variable can have.

-If the Y variable is categorical with 3 or more levels, the X variable can only have 30 or fewer levels.

Even if you have fewer than 30 levels, if the analysis is going to involve checking a large number of splits, then JMP will ask if you want to continue.  But if you have more than 30 levels, it just won't allow it.

If you really need to do an analysis like this, you'll probably need to move to SAS Enterprise Miner.

I hope that helps.

Sincerely,

-Another JP

-Jeff

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Jeff_Perkinson
Community Manager Community Manager

Hi JP,

I think you're referring to the Partition platform and hoping to use a categorical column with more than 30 levels as an X variable.

There is a limit on the number of levels a categorical X variable can have, described below:

-If the Y variable is continuous, there is no limit on the number of levels an X variable can have.

-If the Y variable is categorical with 2 levels, there is no limit on the number of levels an X variable can have.

-If the Y variable is categorical with 3 or more levels, the X variable can only have 30 or fewer levels.

Even if you have fewer than 30 levels, if the analysis is going to involve checking a large number of splits, then JMP will ask if you want to continue.  But if you have more than 30 levels, it just won't allow it.

If you really need to do an analysis like this, you'll probably need to move to SAS Enterprise Miner.

I hope that helps.

Sincerely,

-Another JP

-Jeff
jp
jp
Level I

Cheers for this Jeff, I've got experience with SEM but unfortunately I don't have access to it at my current workplace.

Thanks for your insights.