cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
LNitz
Level III

Importing SAS data file to JMP with the SAS formats

I downloaded a large census file (550MB) in SAS which was supplied with SAS control language to create formats, read the raw data file and attach formats to variables.   I can easily use the File/Open menu item to access the file, but this does not transfer formats.  When I try to use the SAS/browse file command, I receive a notice that a connection to 127.0.0.1 could not be established on port 8561.

I am stuck, as I do not know how to get around this.

Thanks much1

4 REPLIES 4
txnelson
Super User

Re: Importing SAS data file to JMP with the SAS formats

This question has been asked and answered previously

How to render a SAS file using a SAS formats library 

The answer is that JMP can not read the format files directly.  You could only process those files if you have SAS available on the same computer as JMP, and you use the JMP to SAS interface.

Jim
LNitz
Level III

Thanks, Jim, for your response.

I have been following the suggestions.  SAS is up and running on my computer, the libname "canada" is assigned, and it holds pumf2016 (data) and the format library generated on reading in the rawdata as a SAS file.  The browse display on SAS shows the formats applied to the appropriate columns.

I have tried two methods. One, to do all the steps in the JSL editor, submitting the connect, the library define commands. Then submit the copy command that I had illustrated.

The copy works fine, but the indication that there is a format for a variable given in the column properties menu does not do anything.

I also used the SAS connect process from JMP to connect to the SAS on the current machine.  I set the option to use variable names and to process SAS formats.  The variable names appear, and the content list of the column properties tab shows the name of a SAS format.  Again, no formats appear in the display data table, and I do not know how to display them.

Either there is something in my setup that simply does not work--or I have missed some important JMP step. The data, however, transfers correctly--just without displaying format values. I am feeling a bit stupid since I had anticipated using this data set for a class to do some social comparisons.  One can always get students to make a few value labels, but not a few dozen!

I have read "Use SAS custom formats to import...." but  since I am running SAS with the data set open, I did not fully understand steps C and D in that document.  Any help will be appreciated.

Larry Nitz

txnelson
Super User

Unfortunately I do not have SAS installed on my JMP system, so I am not in a position to investigate your issue further.  Hopefully someone else in the Community, will be able to chime in. 

Jim
stan_koprowski
Community Manager Community Manager

Hi @LNitz,

Take a look at your JMP preference file settings. I don’t have JMP open at the moment but I believe you can do something like the following—

1. From within JMP File => Preferences => SAS Integration =>"SAS Data Import" or similar 
  2. click the option, that states Use SAS variable labels for column names and
  3. during data import => check the option  to convert SAS custom formats to JMP value labels
  4. be sure to click  "Apply"  and then "OK"

If you still have no luck applying the formats please reach out to the wonderful team in JMP technical support ( support@jmp.com) they will gladly help you work through this process.

cheers,

Stan