cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
A_Zaid
Level III

'Import Multiple Files' ignores empty lines in CSV

Hello JMP Community,

Whilst trying to import CSV files to JMP 15, I noticed that JMP does not recognise a skipped line in the CSV file. Ideally, JMP should recognise it and translate it into a skipped row in the data table. The only two ways I found to make it recognise it is either by opening the CSV file and adding a comma to the empty/skipped line, or by unchecking both the <CR>+<LF> and <CR> boxes in the settings of the import window (File > Import Multiple Files > Settings) and only leaving the <LF> box checked (as opposed to having all three boxes checked). The first solution is laborious if I want to import many CSV files, and the second creates more issues than it solves as the CSV file uses <CR>+<LF> as well. So, I would appreciate if you could let me know how I can overcome this issue efficiently.

Thank you all in advance!

Ahmed

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
A_Zaid
Level III

Re: 'Import Multiple Files' ignores empty lines in CSV

Hi everyone,

A member of the JMP Technical Support got back to me with the following answer:

"After consulting with my colleagues we believe that this is indeed a bug with JMP's Multiple File Import tool. I have entered a Defect and let development know about MFI's inability to recognize a skipped line in a csv file. Hopefully the development team can work in a fix for an upcoming version of JMP."

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

As this question is some days old with no answer, just a short comment:
I haven't got time to investigate, but in case skipping lines works for importing one csv file but not using Import Multiple Files, you may want to send it to JMP's Technical Support (support@jmp.com) so they can investigate to see if there is a missing functionality or a bug or something else.
/****NeverStopLearning****/
A_Zaid
Level III

Thank you for the referral, Martin.

it would be great if you get an answer, you could share it here so others can benefit as well. Thanks :)

A_Zaid
Level III

Yes, with pleasure. Thank you for the thoughtful suggestion, Martin.
A_Zaid
Level III

Hi everyone,

A member of the JMP Technical Support got back to me with the following answer:

"After consulting with my colleagues we believe that this is indeed a bug with JMP's Multiple File Import tool. I have entered a Defect and let development know about MFI's inability to recognize a skipped line in a csv file. Hopefully the development team can work in a fix for an upcoming version of JMP."

thanks for sharing the response from Tech Support.
A_Zaid
Level III

Pleasure!