cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
ThoYala
Level I

I cannot find test median

I study one mean tutorial. Actually before we do one mean test. We should check whether our data is normal or not. 
  • If normal ==> Mean test
  • If not normal ==> Median test
According to candy data from tutorial, it is not normal from first picture below. Then we should go to median test instead of mean test. 
This is what I learn many years ago from my big customer. At that time may be JMP 3 or JMP 5
At this moment, I cannot see median test in the command (follow 2nd picture). Please advise whether I miss it or there are no median test any more at this moment. 
PastedGraphic-1.png

PastedGraphic-2.png
3 REPLIES 3
gzmorgan0
Super User (Alumni)

Re: I cannot find test median

Your pictures are not visible. To paste a picture, use Photos the a window will appear for you to select a file or paste.

If you are using Fit Y by X, with continuous Ys and nominal X, a Oneway Analysis window is created. Then select the red menu, Robust, Median test.  Or select Main Menu, Statistics Index and scroll down to median test to find an example.

image.png

ThoYala
Level I

Thanks you very much. 

Please help to clarify whether my analyse step is correct or not. I use one mean tutorial and Candy jmp file.

1. I plot distribution to find out whether it is normal distribution or not. 

2. Select continuous fit ==> Normal

3. From fit normal red triangle ==> select goodness of fit

4. From note: Ho = The data is from normal distribution. Small p-value reject Ho. This mean data is not normal distribution.

PastedGraphic-1.png

From tutorial, they use test mean to verify. But this data is not normal distribution. We should use test median instead of test mean. 

Question: Please confirm my understanding above correct or not. This is what I learnt many year ago. 

If my understanding correct. Can I get test median from red triangle of histogram or not. If not, how can I get it. 

PastedGraphic-2.png

ThoYala
Level I

I got support from Technical team. I think below answer can close my request. 

To do a test on the median, click on the red triangle menu next to Distribution (in the platform output) and choose Test Mean. Check the Wilcoxon Signed Rank box, enter the value you want to test, and click OK. The Signed-Rank test statistic is given, which tests the null hypothesis that the median equals the postulated value. It assumes that the distribution is symmetric.