cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar

I am having trouble getting any reliable background map to appear, including all WMS link I've tried and the NASA server. Can anyone please help me find a high resolution map of Scotland that I can use as a background map image?

I've been working on this issue for weeks now and still haven't made any progress.  My survey data is long/lat tagged and will plot well in Graph Builder and bubble plot.  I would really appreciate some help finding a high-resolution background image map of Scotland to use in my data presentations.  The simple/detailed earth images are not clear enough; they show up quite pixelated and very hard to see.  Any help would be greatly appreciated, as this is the last issue that I must overcome to pull off the 'big meeting.'

Thanks,
Elliot

12 REPLIES 12

Re: I am having trouble getting any reliable background map to appear, including all WMS link I've tried and the NASA server.  Can anyone please help me find a high resolution map of Scotland that I can use as a background map image?

Yes! I've got some progress made thanks to John's help.  Do you know if there is a way to a larger image than what displays in the graph.  As it looks now I'm having to copy different pieces of the mapped graph and assemble it back together in another programme to make a single picture.  Thought I might ask.

Cheers

ms
Super User (Alumni) ms
Super User (Alumni)

Re: I am having trouble getting any reliable background map to appear, including all WMS link I've tried and the NASA server.  Can anyone please help me find a high resolution map of Scotland that I can use as a background map image?

You could change the axis settings or use the zoom tool. i.e.select the magnifying glass and click on the map while pressing the cmd (ctrl) button to zoom out.

JohnPonte
Staff (Retired)

Re: I am having trouble getting any reliable background map to appear, including all WMS link I've tried and the NASA server. Can anyone please help me find a high resolution map of Scotland that I can use as a background map image?

Good point MS, thanks for mentioning that. In the WMS Explorer Add-In, you can select multiple layers at one time by using the shift key or the control key (command key on mac) when selecting. This will generate the request with a comma-separated layer list. If you are adding the layer name manually in the background map dialog just be sure that you don't have any spaces in your list. So something like this:  layer1,layer2,layer3, with no leading or trailing spaces either.