cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Submit your abstract to the call for content for Discovery Summit Americas by April 23. Selected abstracts will be presented at Discovery Summit, Oct. 21- 24.
Discovery is online this week, April 16 and 18. Join us for these exciting interactive sessions.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
AT
AT
Level V

How to use Mail() without send click

Hi,

When I use Mail(), I need to click on send. Is there anyway you can skip that? I am using script and I like to be able to mail go through without send clicking. Also, how do you change the Mail() default.

Thanks

Adam

9 REPLIES 9
txnelson
Super User

Re: How to use Mail() without send click

I am assuming you are running in a Macintosh environment.  It is that environment the help files indicate:

"(Macintosh) Creates an e-mail in the user’s Mail application. The user must click Send in the e-mail".

So I assume, the work around will require you to build an appropriate batch file, and then use Run Program(), to execute the mail program on your system.

Jim
AT
AT
Level V

Thanks Jim. I do have Mac machine. Can you be more specific about  batch file? When I run JMP script, I get the prompt to click send.

Best regards,

Adam

AT
AT
Level V

@txnelson wrote:

I am assuming you are running in a Macintosh environment.  It is that environment the help files indicate:

"(Macintosh) Creates an e-mail in the user’s Mail application. The user must click Send in the e-mail".

So I assume, the work around will require you to build an appropriate batch file, and then use Run Program(), to execute the mail program on your system.

Thanks Jim. I do have Mac machine. Can you be more specific about  batch file? When I run JMP script, I get the prompt to click send.

Best regards,

Adam

txnelson
Super User

You will need to go to your mail program and find out how to run it in a batch mode.  Then, you can go to the Scripting Index and learn how to use Run Program() to execute the batch Mail program

Jim
AT
AT
Level V

Thanks Jim.

AT
AT
Level V

Hi Jim,

I was able to change the setting in apple Mail and put Microsoft Outlook for reading the mail as default. When I run JMP script, it does not attach the powerpoint file o email body. The powerpoint file was attached when apple Mail was used earlier. I am still trying to learn how to do mail batch per your suggestion.

Thanks

txnelson
Super User

My recollection is that you have to pass additional parameters to the command stream to attach a document.  Best of luck on your investigation

Jim
AT
AT
Level V

Hi Jim,

I was able to write a Python script to send the email and use RunProgram to exceute Python script. It works now. Thanks for your help.

rwright
Level III

I hope it's not too late to weigh in on this.

Way back when I worked for the state of Texas, I was asked to generate something like 45 emails a week to managers around the state, each one of which was an HTML form that was essentially a sophisticated time sheet for their employees. Managers were to verify/correct and then send them back. I asked for a server (could have used an already existing SAS server - all generation and processing was done using SAS), but was denied. So I was forced to do all this through my email (Outlook) account. Originally Outlook would allow me to batch send these, but when we updated, the Outlook api/server required a manual verification of every batch to be sent. This was in place for some 2 1/2 years and survived 2 or 3 audits (with dings). Only mentioning this because even given a python, or any other script, you might be blocked from mass emailing by the server.