cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
lazzybug
Level III

How to use JSL to find X variable range to meet spec limit by fixing other variables in Prediction Profiler?

Hi JSL experts,

I have a DoE OLS or REML model with prediction profiler like below. How I can find all the X variable ranges to meet LSL and USL automatically with JSL by fixing other variables? For example, X1 must be below 34.6 to meet spec.  Thank you so much for your help.

lazzybug_1-1681847039483.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: How to use JSL to find X variable range to meet spec limit by fixing other variables in Prediction Profiler?

I think that there is a more elegant and robust approach. See the end of this example for the approach of which I am thinking.

Names Default to Here( 1 );

// JMP Pro 16.2

// start with example of a model script
model = Expr(
	Fit Group(
		Fit Model(
			Y( :"SILICA (%)"n ),
			Effects( :ELONG, :"HARDNESS(+/-0.2)"n ),
			Personality( "Standard Least Squares" ),
			Emphasis( "Minimal Report" ),
			Run(
				Profiler(
					Confidence Intervals( 1 ),
					Term Value(
						ELONG( 417.5, Lock( 0 ), Show( 1 ) ),
						"HARDNESS(+/-0.2)"n( 69.775, Lock( 0 ), Show( 1 ) )
					)
				),
				:"SILICA (%)"n << {Summary of Fit( 1 ), Analysis of Variance( 1 ),
				Parameter Estimates( 1 ), Effect Tests( 0 ), Effect Details( 0 ),
				Lack of Fit( 0 ), Scaled Estimates( 0 ), Plot Actual by Predicted( 1 ),
				Plot Regression( 0 ), Plot Residual by Predicted( 0 ),
				Plot Studentized Residuals( 1 ), Plot Effect Leverage( 0 ),
				Plot Residual by Normal Quantiles( 1 ), Box Cox Y Transformation( 0 ),
				Press( 1 )}
			)
		),
		Fit Model(
			Y( :SILANE Value ),
			Effects(
				:"ABRASION For example (%)"n, :MODULUS, :ELONG, :"HARDNESS(+/-0.2)"n,
				:MODULUS * :ELONG
			),
			Run(
				Profiler(
					Term Value(
						"ABRASION For example (%)"n( 133.1, Lock( 0 ), Show( 1 ) ),
						MODULUS( 1255, Lock( 0 ), Show( 1 ) ),
						"HARDNESS(+/-0.2)"n( 69.775, Lock( 0 ), Show( 1 ) )
					)
				),
				:SILANE Value << {Summary of Fit( 1 ), Analysis of Variance( 1 ),
				Press( 1 )}
			)
		),
		Fit Model(
			Y( :SULFUR ),
			Effects( :ELONG ),
			Run(
				Profiler(
					Term Value( ELONG( 417.5, Lock( 0 ), Show( 1 ) ) )
				),
				:SULFUR << {Summary of Fit( 1 ), Analysis of Variance( 1 ),
				Press( 1 )}
			)
		),
		<<{Profiler(
			Term Value(
				"HARDNESS(+/-0.2)"n( 69.775, Lock( 0 ), Show( 1 ) ),
				"ABRASION For example (%)"n( 133.1, Lock( 0 ), Show( 1 ) ),
				MODULUS( 1255, Lock( 0 ), Show( 1 ) )
			)
		)}
	);
);

// last argument is in-line message send for Profiler
last = N Arg( model );
profilerExpr = Arg( model, last );

// unwrap Send() and its list argument
profilerExpr = Arg( profilerExpr, 1 )[1];

// find term values
termVals = Associative Array();
termExpr = Arg( profilerExpr, 3 );
nArgs = N Arg( termExpr );
For( i = 1, i <= nArgs, i++,
	Insert Into( termVals,
		Char( Head( Arg( termExpr, i ) ) ),
		Arg( Arg( termExpr, i ), 1 )
	)
);

// use resulting dictionary for term values
Show( termVals );

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

Re: How to use JSL to find X variable range to meet spec limit by fixing other variables in Prediction Profiler?

JMP 17 introduced the design space profiler for determining operating ranges in this kind of situation. A good reason to update to 17 if you haven't already. 

If you're truly in need of the particular JSL solution you described, hopefully somebody with better JSL skills than me can chime in.

Ross Metusalem
JMP Academic Ambassador
lazzybug
Level III

Thank you @Ross_Metusalem , we are using JMP 16 currently. Hopefully, we can upgrade to 17 soon.

In the meantime, you can use the Simulation feature in the Prediction Profiler for this purpose.

lazzybug
Level III

@Mark_Bailey can you give me some hints how to get the range using Simulation in the Prediction Profiler? Thank you so much.

Have you studied the Help section I cited?

You must specify the response limits first to determine the desirability function to assess the suitability of the factor range.

Open the simulator in the Prediction Profiler. All the factor levels are fixed at the start. Change X1 to vary randomly as you expect under process control. Specify the random variation of the response, too. The simulation will display a histogram to give you an idea of the suitability of the transmission of error from X1 to the response. The simulation table will provide detailed information.

lazzybug
Level III

Hi @Mark_Bailey, I did follow the link you shared, I can find the defect rate below 5% for each X variable manually. Because I have so many models and variables, I want to find a way to automate this process not doing it one by one. It will take so much time. Is it possible to do it in JSL?

Yes, you can script the Profiler and the Simulator it provides. See Help > Scripting Index > Objects > Profiler and Simulator.

sim.PNG

lazzybug
Level III

@Mark_Bailey I finished the simulation for parameters, and collect all the simulation results already. Super cool!!! Thank you so much for your help. 

The only challenge for me is to get the term value from the model script. What I used is to search "{Profiler(" and then "Term Value" to get all the terms into a list, and then simulate. The term value has numeric and character, some with "xxxx"n, some not, it's pretty difficult to make code for all different cases. Do you have easy way to get the Term value from the DoE model?

By "get the term value from the model script," do you mean the parameter estimate in the Model table script? Did you save a table script for the model?

Character strings can be used for names. Some characters are disallowed in names. Use of improper names require a work-around.