cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
etmsni
Level III

How to use JMP in MATAB (not MATLAB in JMP)

Is it possible to use JMP functions in MATLAB (not MATLAB in JMP)? Would like to use MATLAB to create a forloop to analyze different types of files/data using the same JMP "fit competing mixture" function in the Life Distribution platform, and have the parameters from the different types of files/data saved in the same file (not sure if there is a better way to do this?) Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Craige_Hales
Super User

Re: How to use JMP in MATAB (not MATLAB in JMP)

@ih maybe using com objects in matlab . Looks like it might be a long learning curve.

Craige

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
ih
Super User (Alumni) ih
Super User (Alumni)

What would Matlab do here, is there some other analysis you are doing in Matlab that you don't want to do in JMP instead? I've found it to be easier to call other languages from JMP than the other way around, especially considering the Matlab connector you perhaps already found.  To answer your question though, I believe the automation reference will get you started.

etmsni
Level III

Thanks for the reply. The links show how to do MATLAB in JMP instead of calling JMP functions in MATLAB. It's mostly that MATLAB is easier to work with in coding, because it can deal with matrices easier.

I agree that it seems to be easier calling other languages from JMP, so I'll be trying that route right now.

txnelson
Super User

I have to object( in only gentle terms ) of your statement "MATLAB is easier to work with in coding, because it can deal with matrices easier.".  Are you aware that JMP has full matrix manipulation capabilities?  I will point you too the Scripting Guide's section on Matrices starting on Page 194, and covering roughly 50 pages.

I am very interested in getting your evaluation, if you still find Matlab easier to do matrix manipulations after looking at the JMP documentation.  This is a true request.  If you find JMP's matrix abilities less than favorable, I would like to be educated on what you find.

JMP Scripting Guide is found in the JMP Documentation Library under the Help pull done menu.

Jim
etmsni
Level III

Thanks so much! I think it might be more my problem, because MATLAB's coding style seems a little bit more intuitive for me to learn. I'm starting to learn JSL, and it seems at first glance that JSL's style is more similar to R studio, which I'm not as used to.

ih
Super User (Alumni) ih
Super User (Alumni)

The last link to the automation reference is how you would script JMP from within Matlab.  How easy or hard that is will depend on how well Matlab integrates with application objects...

Craige_Hales
Super User

@ih maybe using com objects in matlab . Looks like it might be a long learning curve.

Craige
etmsni
Level III

Thanks so much!!!