cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
tLerman
Level I

How to sort the data table within an application?

I've written a fairly complex JSL application using the JMP Application Builder. The application launcher prompts the user for column selections and then I sort the data by the chosen columns before continuing with processing and visualizations.

If the data set has dependent open windows, I need to give the user the option to continue without sorting (the data was likely pre-sorted) or exit the script to let the user deal with the dependent windows.  To this end, I've created the following function:

sortThisData = Function ({dt},
	try( dt << Sort (By( Column(snCol), Column(dtCol)), Replace Table) ,
	/* IF thrown */
	if (contains(exception_msg[1], "JMP cannot replace the existing table"),
			ex = New Window( "Alert", <<Modal, <<Return Result,			
				V List Box( H List Box( "Set this value", 
					fontobj = text = Text Box( "JMP cannot replace the existing data table because open report windows depend on the previous ordering." )),
					Text Box(""),
						//H List Box( Button Box( "Continue Without Sorting" ), Button Box( "Cancel Script" ), Button Box("Create New Sorted Data Table") ) )

V List Box (rb = Radio Box( {"Continue Without Sorting", 
										"Cancel Script", 
										"Create New Sorted Data Table"} ) );
					)
			);
		if (ex["rb"] == 1, /*Continue without sorting*/,
			ex["rb"] == 2, /*Stop script*/ (thisModuleInstance << Get Box) << Close Window; stop(),
			ex["rb"] == 3, /* New data table */ dt =  Sort (By(Column(snCol), Column(dtCol)), invisible) 
			)
		)
	);
	return (dt);
);

However, it seems that the application itself counts as a dependent open window! I can't sort the data even if no other windows are open.

How can I circumvent this issue and sort my data? I have moved the timing of calling my SORT function, but it needs to happen after the OK button on the launcher was pressed and before the processing/visualizations are done.

Any suggestions?

3 REPLIES 3

Re: How to sort the data table within an application?

I'm not sure I understand your question correctly, it seems that your script does not contain some character (")" in line 2 and "<<").  

sortThisData = Function( {dt},
	Try( newdt = dt << Sort( By( Column( snCol ), Column( dtCol ) ), Replace Table ),  );
	/* IF thrown */
	if(contains(exception_msg[1], "JMP cannot replace the existing table"),
		ex = New Window( "Alert",
			<<Modal,
			<<Return Result,
			V List Box(
				H List Box(
					"Set this value",
					fontobj = text = Text Box(
						"JMP cannot replace the existing data table because open report windows depend on the previous ordering."
					)
				),
				Text Box( "" ), 
				V List Box(
					rb = Radio Box(
						{"Continue Without Sorting", "Cancel Script",
						"Create New Sorted Data Table"}
					)
				)
			)
		);
		If(
			ex["rb"] == 1, /*Continue without sorting*/,
			ex["rb"] == 2, /*Stop script*/ (thisModuleInstance << Get Box) << Close Window;	Throw();,
			ex["rb"] == 3, /* New data table */ newdt = dt << Sort( By( Column( snCol ), Column( dtCol ) ), invisible )
		);
	);
	If(ex["rb"]==3, Return( newdt ), Return( dt ););	
);
tLerman
Level I

Hi,

Not sure what you mean by missing characters. But in any case, the issue is the same even if the call to the function above is replaced with a simple Sort Table: 

DataTable1 << Sort (By( Column(snCol), Column(dtCol)), Replace Table);

I get the following alert, even though the only open window for DataTable1 is the application that called the Sort function.

tLerman_0-1680423779447.png

I'm sorry that I have misunderstood what you want to do. It seems that it is not easy to sort a data table in Application Builder.
It is not a smart solution, you can copy a data table first and then sort the data table. It creates another data table, you should close a table when it is not used.

original_dt = Current Data Table();
dt =  original_dt << Subset( All rows, Selected columns only( 0 ), Link to original data table( 0 ), invisible );
dt << Sort( By( Column( dt, snCol ), Column( dt, dtCol ) ), Replace Table )