cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Braydon12
Level II

How to run analysis of 1 binomial data set and 1 nominal data set.

Hi everyone,

This is my first post here as I am very new to JMP pro. I am a novice at stats and could use some guidance. I have a data set where 1 column is tree type (lets say type 1, 2, or 3) and the other column is binomial (1,0) dead or alive. I am trying to get the statistical significance for the difference in average % mortality by tree type. 

Basically I need the hard stats to explain the figure below:

Braydon12_0-1664938539240.png

Any help would be really appreciated!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: How to run analysis of 1 binomial data set and 1 nominal data set.

@mzwald helped you with more options. I have a few more, too. You can ask Contingency to compare the group means to the overall mean by clicking the red triangle and selecting Analysis of Means for Proportions.

contingency.PNG

You can even more information to compare one Tree Type with another. from Nominal Logistic Regression platform. Select Analyze > Fit Model. Cast Maturity in the Y role, add Tree Type to the Effects, and cast Count in the Freq role.

nom 1.PNG

Notice that where the same result is presented in both platforms, the value is the same. There is some overlap in content. Let's look at some of the unique information that is available in the second platform.

nom 2.PNG

The Odds Ratios tell you how much more or less likely the outcome will be Dead compared to Alive for different Tree Types. The Confusion Matrix tells us how well the model predicts the outcomes. Finally, the Prediction Profiler allows you to predict the probability of both outcomes for any Tree Type.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
mzwald
Staff

You will want to use the Distribution platform for this.  Place the Dead/Alive binomial column as the Y and put the 1/2/3 group column as the By role.  From the inner red triangle of the distribution report, select Confidence Interval and choose the interval of interest.  This will give you the CI for the probabilities using a binomial distribution.

Here is an additional analysis that might help. I create a mock-up of your data:

table.PNG

I selected Analyze > Fit Y by X. I cast Mortality in the Y role, Tree Type in the X role, and Count in the Freq role. I get the following analysis when I click OK.

contingency.PNG

Please see the documentation for the Contingency platform.

Braydon12
Level II

This is super helpful, but I have a follow up question. I can see that is shows me that tree type is significant, but how do I tell significance between tree types? Like, are types 1 and 3 statistically similar in % mortality and does tree type 2 have a significantly different %mortality?

Thank you for the help!

mzwald
Staff

You would get that from the confidence intervals which are shown in the distribution report.  Unfortunately the Contingency report will not give you those CI intervals, but it will tell if the Factor X has a significant impact on the probabilities of Response Y.  Being able to get these CI intervals in the Contingency report would be a nice-to-have feature.

The Categorical platform (Analyze > Consumer Research > Categorical) can give you LR/Pearson p-values for each sample pairing (see below).

Tablet Production - Distribution.png

Tablet Production - Categorical by Screen Size.jpg

Braydon12
Level II

Braydon12_0-1665016202671.png

Ok, sweet, so this tells me that A and B are significantly different and B and C are also significantly different?

Braydon12
Level II

Also, what are the names of the analysis that I did (all of them) and how would I report the results? Thank you both for your help! Y'all have been awesome!

mzwald
Staff

A and C are not statistically different probabilities from each other, but B is statistically different from A and C.

@mzwald helped you with more options. I have a few more, too. You can ask Contingency to compare the group means to the overall mean by clicking the red triangle and selecting Analysis of Means for Proportions.

contingency.PNG

You can even more information to compare one Tree Type with another. from Nominal Logistic Regression platform. Select Analyze > Fit Model. Cast Maturity in the Y role, add Tree Type to the Effects, and cast Count in the Freq role.

nom 1.PNG

Notice that where the same result is presented in both platforms, the value is the same. There is some overlap in content. Let's look at some of the unique information that is available in the second platform.

nom 2.PNG

The Odds Ratios tell you how much more or less likely the outcome will be Dead compared to Alive for different Tree Types. The Confusion Matrix tells us how well the model predicts the outcomes. Finally, the Prediction Profiler allows you to predict the probability of both outcomes for any Tree Type.

Braydon12
Level II

Y"all are so helpful. This is amazing. For the results I have here, what was the analysis called and how should I report the analysis?

Braydon12_0-1665092435266.png