cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
markschwab
Level IV

How to order wrapped graphs by a different column? Alternatively, how to label wrapped graphs by a different column?

By default, when you wrap graphs using the Graph Builder, it seems to order the graphs by the value of the column you use for wrapping, and label them with the same column. I would instead like to either wrap the graphs by column A and order them by column B, or alternatively, wrap them by column B and label them by column A.

Ex:

Date, Name, [Data]

1/2/16, X-ray, [...]

2/5/16, Alpha, [...]

5/1/16, Bravo, [...]

If I choose to wrap them by name, the graphs appear in order Alpha, Bravo, X-ray, but I would want to order them by date. Or if I wrap them by date, they appear in the desired order, but the graph label is the date, when I want the label to be the name.

Are either of these functions available?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
stan_koprowski
Community Manager Community Manager

Re: How to order wrapped graphs by a different column? Alternatively, how to label wrapped graphs by a different column?

Hi,

There is an inner order by zone within the wrap drop zone of Graph Builder.

I used date as the wrap drop zone and data as the overlay drop zone.

Here is the order by date (Date)

I used date and placed in the inner zone of the wrap drop zone.

[Missing image]

Here is the order by Name (Categorical)

[Missing image]

And finally order by data (continuous)

[Missing image]

Cheer,

Stan

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
stan_koprowski
Community Manager Community Manager

Re: How to order wrapped graphs by a different column? Alternatively, how to label wrapped graphs by a different column?

Hi,

There is an inner order by zone within the wrap drop zone of Graph Builder.

I used date as the wrap drop zone and data as the overlay drop zone.

Here is the order by date (Date)

I used date and placed in the inner zone of the wrap drop zone.

[Missing image]

Here is the order by Name (Categorical)

[Missing image]

And finally order by data (continuous)

[Missing image]

Cheer,

Stan

markschwab
Level IV

Oh wow, that makes it super easy! Thanks!

ms
Super User (Alumni) ms
Super User (Alumni)

You could also try setting a Value Ordering property for the column. It is easily done in the Column Info dialog, but can also be set by jsl. The wrap order will follow the Value Ordering.

A jsl example:

dt = Current Data Table();

Summarize(g = by(dt:Name), m = Min(dt:Date));

dt:Name << Set Property("Value Ordering", Eval(g[Rank Index(m)]));