cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New to using JMP? Hit the ground running with the Early User Edition of Discovery Summit. Register now, free of charge.
Register for our Discovery Summit 2024 conference, Oct. 21-24, where you’ll learn, connect, and be inspired.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
doraemengs
Level III

How to link the column code from one table to another table dataset

Hi everyone, I have 2 data tables. My dataset table "Dataset.jmp" had the column data as a code "ENICITY" and "ETHCAT" that I need to link with dataset "Dictionary.jmp" that can change the code into labels (in the Labels column of Dictionary file). My actual dataset had 50 categories, so  I cannot use the function "Value Labels" of all categories. Any idea for linking the row of one table to the column of another table with the exact value? the column that I want is the result column on Dataset.jmp file

I attached the files here.

Thank you so much!

Best, 

12 REPLIES 12
hogi
Level XI

Re: How to link the column code from one table to another table dataset

As another alternative - without any subsetting/For Each:

names default to here(1);
dict = Open( "$DOWNLOADS/Dictionary1.jmp" );
dt = Open( "$DOWNLOADS/Dataset1.jmp" );

// stack the data for easy application of the dictionary
dt2=dt << Stack(
	columns(
		:ETHNICITY, :ETHCAT, :SEX, :NAME, :"A09:05"n, :"A01:01"n, :DPA05, :DPB04
	),
	Source Label Column( "col" ),
	Stacked Data Column( "values" )
);

// add a column with the corrected column-identifiers
dt 2 << New Column( "column",
	Character,
	Formula(
		Match( :col,
			"A01:01", "A",
			"A09:05", "A",
			"DPA05", "DP",
			"DPB04", "DP",
			:col
		)
	)
);

// add the labels from the disctionary dt2 << Update( With( dict ), Match Columns( :column = :Column, :values = :Values ), Add Columns from Update Table( :Labels ) );
// convert back to a wide table dt2 << Split( Split By( :col ), Split( :Labels ), Group( :ID ), Remaining Columns( Drop All ) );
doraemengs
Level III

Thank you Hogi, However, can you provide the script that does not need to retype all of the columns that we have (more than 50 columns)? 

Thank you !

hogi
Level XI

With match fyou just have to list columns where there is a change, the remaining columns stay 'col' - last entry.

If you don't want to srt up a mapping, just use matching names for the columns and the dictionary.

Alternatively, use a consistent mapping (like: first character of the column name. Or first 2 characters) and a corresponding equation.