cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar

How to interpret the X and Y axes in the (Multivariate Clustering) Constellation Plot?

This may seem like a newbie question, but I've been trying to answer this on my own and not making any progress. I understand the concept of the Constellation Plot intuitively as showing the membership in clusters as they're built up from the dendrogram. JMP puts labels on the axes (-200 to +200 in my case), which begs the question. The explanation that "Longer lines represent greater distances between clusters" doesn't really explain the two dimensions.

3 REPLIES 3
XanGregg
Staff

Re: How to interpret the X and Y axes in the (Multivariate Clustering) Constellation Plot?

The x/y positions and axes are only present so you can do normal JMP graph operations, like zooming or adding customizations. The plot is mainly just showing the structure of the tree (e.g., balanced or not). The nodes themselves are positioned to avoid collisions.

Re: How to interpret the X and Y axes in the (Multivariate Clustering) Constellation Plot?

So, now I have a related question:  What is the meaning of the circle at the origin in a Constellation Plot?

XanGregg
Staff

I believe it just helps identify the root of the tree.