cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
arm2785
Level I

How to include superscript numbers in column headings?

Hi,

I want to create some figures (PCA biplot) with stable isotope variables in them. How can I include superscripts in the headings of my column? Specifically δ15N and δ13C?

12 REPLIES 12
ron_horne
Super User (Alumni)

Re: How to include superscript numbers in column headings?

ostromp9
Level I

The solution presented (alt 253) did not work in jmp 14 for a mac and for other numbers, I could only guess its alt X53. The option of a unicode character did not work either. I need to express the following on an axis title and, if possible, column header: d15Nb  where the d is a lower case greek d, the 15 is superscripted and the b is a lower case greek beta. I was able to copy all of this from word into jmp but 15 was not superscripted. I also tried going to file preferences, and fonts but unicode characters are not available there

This way should always work, but there are a few steps.

1. Open a script editor: select File > New > Script.
  2. Enter this character string: "\!U03B4\!U00B9\!U2075\!U03B2"
  3. Run the script.
  4. Find the result in the Log: select Window > Log (Macintosh)
  5. Select the result "δ¹⁵β" and copy the result to paste over the axis label.

Hope this helps.

(Actually, you should be able to copy the result shown in step 5 this time and skip all the previous steps! But now you know how to do it for another string.)

ostromp9
Level I

Thank-you. The solution is imperfect. In the column header and the graph y-axis title, both the 1 and 5 are superscripted but the 5 is higher than the 1. Is there an issue with the script you provided or is this the best we can do? The outcome is unacceptable for publication. I hope that jmp will be able to resolve issues with superscripts, subscripts and greek letters as scripting and finding unicode symbols is cumbersome.

I see this result:

Capture.PNG

and this result:

Capture.PNG

The results above used JMP for Windows on my work computer. I repeated the test on my personal Macintosh and now I see the same result as you:

Screen Shot 2019-04-04 at 10.07.21 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-04-04 at 10.08.04 AM.png

So this result is a bug and should be reported to JMP Technical Support (support@jmp.com).

Jeff_Perkinson
Community Manager Community Manager

JMPScreenSnapz326.png

Instead of using the script editor solution that @Mark_Bailey provided, I would use the Emoji and Symbols tools (Ctrl-Command-Space) to enter these special characters.

JMPScreenSnapz324.png

You can type the name of the character you're looking for into the window and see the choices.

As for the different line heights for the 1 and 5, it's not so much a bug in JMP. Instead it's the way the font chosen for the column headings and the titles renders the UNICODE characters for superscript 1 and superscript 5. That's not something JMP has control over.

Instead, you'll need to find a font that renders them at the same line height. I used Pages on my Mac to experiment with various fonts and found that Myriad Pro, which I suspect I got with one of my Adobe products, does a good job of rendering them at the same line height. You may have to search a bit to find a font that you have installed that works the way you want.

Once you've found a font that does what you want you can change the preferences in JMP to use that font.

JMPScreenSnapz325.png

-Jeff
ostromp9
Level I

This is quite frustrating and I understood the issue with unicode double superscripts - I have read for about 4 hours trying to solve the issue. Michigan state University does JMP and SAS a great service by promoting and offering JMP to its faculty.  While it is a unicode problem, ultimately, the problem is that jmp does not have a clean solution to the superscript issue for Mac users and it is implied that their users find a work around. I, personally, spoke with JMP about its capacities before purchasing.   In addition to its statitical capabilities I was worried about publication quality graphics.  I was assured that this product was trouble free and excelled on both accounts. But, I am about ready to give up on the graphics, and perhaps jmp as a whole, because of the superscript issue - a common commodity among scientists. I also don't feel that it is my job to hunt for fonts and fix issues that the software should support. I would appreciate a solid clear solution that I can impliment with ease. There are many isotope biogeochemists, like myself, that would be interested or use jmp on macs. Without a solution to this issue provided by jmp, I will feel it my duty to let them know of this difficiency. Once again, I reach out to you for a solid clear solution to the superscript option.

ostromp9
Level I

I found a font that worked for the coumn header but when I made a graph using this column, the superscripts were misaligned. I tried changing the text in the axis title, no luck. So Jeff's solution was also imperfect.