cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
ivomdb
Level III

How to get the graph builder to dispatch a variable scale for the Y variable depending on the data

Hi All, 

I have been searching this topic throughout the community discussions but I had not luck so far. 

How to get the graph builder to dispatch a variable scale for the Y variable depending on the data range?  

Using the BigClass data example If I had more than one graph to plot I would use the following script:

dt= Open ("Big Class.JMP");

win = New window("Graphs", lub = Lineup Box (Ncol(2)));

Sexs = (Associative Array(Column (dt, "sex"))<<Get keys);

For (i = 1, i<= N items (Sexs), i++,

lub<< Append( Graph Builder(
	Variables( X( :weight ), Y( :height ), Wrap( :sex, N View Levels( 1 ) ) ),
	Elements( Points( X, Y, Legend( 7 ) ), Smoother( X, Y, Legend( 9 ) ) ),
	Local Data Filter(
	Close Outline( 1 ),
	Add Filter(
	columns( :Sex ),
	Where( :Sex == Sexs[i] ),
	Display( :Sex, Size( 224, 126 ), List Display )) ))));

This code works for me. Also, the Y scale adjusts automatically which is great. However, if I would like to keep some characteristics costumized like lets say I want to have a Y minimum of 55 as an example but I would like to leave JMP to select the Y maximum according to the data range. How do I do that in this case?

In my situation is different, I would like the Y minimum to be always zero since I have a curve with all the values starting in zero but for some reason JMP sets the variables axis settings starting on negative numbers regardless. Nevertheless, even if I would like the values to be shown on a specific Y minimum for all the graphs I am not able to then have the Y Max to change automatically according to the range of data or until the actual Y maximum. 

Using the script above and doing this manually I would have the resulting script line when setting a Y minmum only as 55 :

SendToReport(Dispatch({},"height",ScaleBox,{Min( 55 ),  Inc( 5 ), Minor Ticks( 1 )}));

You will see that the resulting two graphs will have the same Y maximum regardless and set as below 70 even though one of the graphs has data until 70. 

Does anyone know how to do write a script that would allow the Y max to change accroding to the data range or set the Max dependent on the Local filter already defined?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
txnelson
Super User

Re: How to get the graph builder to dispatch a variable scale for the Y variable depending on the da

It appears as if the max value is stuck for both charts.  However, here is a work around that permits the charts to run independently.

dt2 = Open( "$SAMPLE_DATA\Big Class.JMP" );

win = New Window( "Graphs", lub = Lineup Box( N Col( 2 ) ) );

Sexs = (Associative Array( Column( dt2, "sex" ) ) << Get keys);

For( i = 1, i <= N Items( Sexs ), i++,
	dt2 << select where( :sex == sexs[i] );
	dt = dt2 << subset( invisible, selected rows( 1 ), selected columns( 0 ) );
	lub << append(
		gb = dt << Graph Builder(
			Local Data Filter(
				Close Outline( 1 ),
				Add Filter(
					Display( :Sex, Size( 224, 126 ), List Display )
				)
			)
		);
		Report( gb )[AxisBox( 2 )] << Min( 0 );
	)

;
);
Jim

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
txnelson
Super User

Re: How to get the graph builder to dispatch a variable scale for the Y variable depending on the da

It appears as if the max value is stuck for both charts.  However, here is a work around that permits the charts to run independently.

dt2 = Open( "$SAMPLE_DATA\Big Class.JMP" );

win = New Window( "Graphs", lub = Lineup Box( N Col( 2 ) ) );

Sexs = (Associative Array( Column( dt2, "sex" ) ) << Get keys);

For( i = 1, i <= N Items( Sexs ), i++,
	dt2 << select where( :sex == sexs[i] );
	dt = dt2 << subset( invisible, selected rows( 1 ), selected columns( 0 ) );
	lub << append(
		gb = dt << Graph Builder(
			Local Data Filter(
				Close Outline( 1 ),
				Add Filter(
					Display( :Sex, Size( 224, 126 ), List Display )
				)
			)
		);
		Report( gb )[AxisBox( 2 )] << Min( 0 );
	)

;
);
Jim
ivomdb
Level III

Thanks so much Jim.