cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
lwx228
Level VIII

How to extract specified data from a JSL hexadecimal file to a decimal file?

"Min1.dat" is a hexadecimal file.I have saved the data of the two tables in this DAT file.
For example, the original data of the file encoded as "113027" looks like this.

2020-11-11_13-42-32.png

14 REPLIES 14
lwx228
Level VIII

Re: How to extract specified data from a JSL hexadecimal file to a decimal file?

I see, if the tools are available, I can use this code to do it in one step.Thank you very much!

lwx228
Level VIII

Re: How to extract specified data from a JSL hexadecimal file to a decimal file?

Now only the numerical value of the date can be used to locate and calculate the data of the period.

2020-11-12_14-29-26.png

lwx228
Level VIII

This calculation has to reverse the hexadecimal result to get the correct result.

Craige_Hales
Super User

Your file might have Little Endian numbers. But without documentation of the file format, you can't be sure there is not another bit in the file that chooses Big vs Little representation. There can be a lot of bits that determine the shape of the binary data, and they can change if the program that generates the data runs with different options/data/environment.

Fun fact about Little Endian numbers: the 6502 processor in the ancient Apple II computer used Little Endian because it was faster to add two 2-byte numbers. The add of the low-order byte could be done in parallel with fetching the high-order byte that followed. The carry could then be propagated to the high order byte. 

Craige
lwx228
Level VIII

Thank Craige!

Thank you for your careful guidance and your help in making me understand more.

I also found a lot of problems when I processed more numbered data the same way.

I switched to VBA to control the mouse to realize automatic use that documentation get data, reduce manual operation.What is more important is to reduce the chance of making mistakes.

Thanks again to the experts.