cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
bharathu
Level III

How to detect multi modal distribution?

Hello Everyone,

Is there an easy way in JSL to detect multi modal distribution? I am trying to find way for JMP to crunch the data among thousands of tests and just filter out the tests that show multimodal distributions. Using traditional JMP distribution feature to visually look at the histograms is not possible on thousands of tests. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
txnelson
Super User

Re: How to detect multi modal distribution?

You can interactively select all of the desired columns, place them in the Distribution Platform, and then make the multi-modal evaluation for all of the columns by holding down the Control Key as you make the red triangle selections.  Once the analysis is complete, you can then right click on any of the output tables you want (i.e. Parameter Estimates) and select Create Combined Data Table.  That will generate a data table you can sort, etc. to get the info you want.

Or yes, a script could be written to do all of this.....If this is a one time effort, the interactive method is probably the best choice

Jim

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
txnelson
Super User

The Distribution Platform allows one to test for MultiMixture distributions.  Run the Platform and then under the red triangle go to 

Continuous Distribution==>Normal Mixtures

Jim
bharathu
Level III

Hello Jim,

Thanks for the reply. But is there a way to automate this among thousands of columns (each test is a column in my data set) and then give a summary table with test names (or columns in this case) that exhibit some multi-modal distribution? Maybe even plot the tests that only exhibit multi modal distribution? 

This is what I have so far based on your feedback

txnelson
Super User

You can interactively select all of the desired columns, place them in the Distribution Platform, and then make the multi-modal evaluation for all of the columns by holding down the Control Key as you make the red triangle selections.  Once the analysis is complete, you can then right click on any of the output tables you want (i.e. Parameter Estimates) and select Create Combined Data Table.  That will generate a data table you can sort, etc. to get the info you want.

Or yes, a script could be written to do all of this.....If this is a one time effort, the interactive method is probably the best choice

Jim