cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Fatemeh_2020
Level III

How to create synthetic data?

Hello!

Please, explain how I can create synthetic data using JMP?

Thank you in advance. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
KarenC
Super User (Alumni)

Re: How to create synthetic data?

Hello,

First I am assuming that synthetic = simulated data. That is you want to generate "pretend" data based on some underlying assumptions. Another way to generate "pretend" data is by resampling from "real" data. For simulating data from underlying assumptions review the random functions that are in JMP as these will be the tools that you can use for your simulation.

https://www.jmp.com/support/help/en/15.1/?os=mac&source=application&utm_source=helpmenu&utm_medium=a...

Another place to look for examples on simulations is go to Help>Sample Data and then look on the lower right portion of the window that opens and under the teaching resources is a section with simulations. You can open the simulation tables and look at the column formulas to see how those simulations were set up. This might provide you with some ideas as how to get started on your synthetic data set (add rows to the tables to generate values).  Then, once you get a bit closer, if you still are having trouble, repost with more details and I am sure someone will jump in to help you more.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
KarenC
Super User (Alumni)

Hello,

First I am assuming that synthetic = simulated data. That is you want to generate "pretend" data based on some underlying assumptions. Another way to generate "pretend" data is by resampling from "real" data. For simulating data from underlying assumptions review the random functions that are in JMP as these will be the tools that you can use for your simulation.

https://www.jmp.com/support/help/en/15.1/?os=mac&source=application&utm_source=helpmenu&utm_medium=a...

Another place to look for examples on simulations is go to Help>Sample Data and then look on the lower right portion of the window that opens and under the teaching resources is a section with simulations. You can open the simulation tables and look at the column formulas to see how those simulations were set up. This might provide you with some ideas as how to get started on your synthetic data set (add rows to the tables to generate values).  Then, once you get a bit closer, if you still are having trouble, repost with more details and I am sure someone will jump in to help you more.

Fatemeh_2020
Level III

Thank you very much!

madhu
Level III

I want to generate a simulated database (n=100, for example) following any probability distributions e.g., Logistic, Lognormal, Weibull, etc. I can do it on EXCEL using  Data>Data Analysis>Random Number Generator

However, I do not know how can it be done in JMP Pro 16. 

Can anybody help?

Create a new column in JMP. Make it based on a formula and look under the Random set of functions. There is a large selection, here is just a subset:

Dan_Obermiller_0-1666917071877.png

Dan Obermiller
madhu
Level III

Thank you. It helps.