cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New to using JMP? Hit the ground running with the Early User Edition of Discovery Summit. Register now, free of charge.
Register for our Discovery Summit 2024 conference, Oct. 21-24, where you’ll learn, connect, and be inspired.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
stat3
Level I

How to create multiple line graph with categorial x axis

Hi,

Jmp newbie here so pretty basic question: how do I plot a series of line plots with categorical x axis? right now the graph builder is duplicating every category on the x axis? Thanks!

stat3_0-1722298968178.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
txnelson
Super User

Re: How to create multiple line graph with categorial x axis

Is this what you want?

txnelson_0-1722375837850.png

txnelson_1-1722375933814.png

Jim

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
txnelson
Super User

I am not sure how you got the results you did.  It would be helpful to display the entire Graph Builder control panel along with the graph display.  I do suspect what you need to do is to stack your data into 1 column for your Y  values and 1 column for your X Values along with a grouping column that distinguishes between the 2 groups.  Then when you display the graph, your use the grouping column as the Overlay column in GB.  Here is an example using the Big Class sample JMP data table.

txnelson_0-1722304730873.pngtxnelson_1-1722304798296.png

Jim
stat3
Level I

Thank you for the response. So here is my data sheet:

stat3_0-1722374877555.png

I dragged the exercise status column to the x axis and did the overlay with interval column. But I guess that was incorrect?

txnelson
Super User

Is this what you want?

txnelson_0-1722375837850.png

txnelson_1-1722375933814.png

Jim
stat3
Level I

Yes! Thanks so much Jim. I don't know why, but I tried it again with my larger dataset and it worked! Not sure what I did differently from yesterday but I did hide and exclude data that was extra. Either way, I learned something new. Thanks so much!