cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Achim_T
Level II

How to create a bar-mekko chart (variable width bar chart) in JMP / Graph Builder

Is it possible to create a bar-mekko chart in JMP? see e.g.

https://kb.tableau.com/articles/howto/create-a-variable-width-bar-chart-aka-cascade-chart

I can create a bar chart with categories on the X-axis and Numerical on the Y-axis, and sort ascending. Then, intuitively, dragging another numerical column to the "Size" field should create such a chart (Size = widths of the bars in the chart?) but nothing happens if I do that. I can only color the bars instead, i.e. dragging to the "Color" field in the Graph builder.

Thanks in advance for any help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: How to create a bar-mekko chart (variable width bar chart) in JMP / Graph Builder

Two options that I can think of (neither is a bar chart) that would get you close are:

1) don't use bars. Stick with a scatterplot and set the size of the point to be the production size. That would give you something like this:

Graph Builder.png

2) use Fit Y by X, put the Production Size in as a Frequency variable (Fit Y by X has an X-axis proportional default setting). That gives you something like this:

Fit Y by X.png

You could play around with some additional options to try and make them look a bit better.

Of course you could always write a script to do this.

Dan Obermiller

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Re: How to create a bar-mekko chart (variable width bar chart) in JMP / Graph Builder

I'd try a packed bar chart - it's one of the options for bar charts in JMP 14.

https://community.jmp.com/t5/JMP-Blog/Introducing-packed-bars-a-new-chart-form/ba-p/39972
Achim_T
Level II

Thanks Mike, I had looked at that but this is not really what I intend here. Also, packed bars get very confusing because unrelated categories are mixed. The variable width bar charts are very common in the mining / oil & gas world, e.g. production cost on the y-axis, mine/well name as category on the x-axis, and mine/well production size as bar width. Would be cool if this could be added in the graph builder at some point (like I described via dragging a column on the size field with a bar chart).

Two options that I can think of (neither is a bar chart) that would get you close are:

1) don't use bars. Stick with a scatterplot and set the size of the point to be the production size. That would give you something like this:

Graph Builder.png

2) use Fit Y by X, put the Production Size in as a Frequency variable (Fit Y by X has an X-axis proportional default setting). That gives you something like this:

Fit Y by X.png

You could play around with some additional options to try and make them look a bit better.

Of course you could always write a script to do this.

Dan Obermiller
Achim_T
Level II

Thanks Dan, I will try the scripting and the suggested alternatives.

gzmorgan0
Super User (Alumni)

Attached is a very simple script that builds on Dan's suggestion. It shows how to make bars instead of points. I tested it on JMP 12, 13 and 14.

If I were building an application, I'd create a summary table based upon user input and likely build the graph using Shape Seg with rowstates associated with the table.

image.png

gzmorgan0
Super User (Alumni)

Oh, one more suggestion. Mosaic plots scale by N/Weight. You might want to resarch them in the Scripting Index.

Names Default To Here( 1 );
dt = Open( "$SAMPLE_DATA/Big Class.jmp" );
obj = Distribution( Column( :Age ) );
obj << Mosaic Plot( 1 );

image.png

Jeff_Perkinson
Community Manager Community Manager

Starting with JMP 16 the bars element will support the size role to allow for this kind of chart.

-Jeff