cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
pablosfontoura
Level II

How to count two terms as one Text Explorer?

Hi,

In Text Explorer section, I have several different words that relate to the same idea, but I can't count them as a single element. For example: 77 occurrences for the word "Christ" and 55 for the word "Jesus"; or 100 occurrences for "painting" and 50 for "canvas". Jesus/Christ and Painting/Canvas is the same idea in my study, so I would like to aggregate them as one. I would like JMP to count these similar therms together. Is there a way of doing so? Stemming only work for same words with different endings, which is not what I am looking for.

Thank you very much.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: How to count two terms as one Text Explorer?

Hi,

From the Term list, you can select the terms you would like to combine, right-click, and select "recode."  From there, highlight all the terms and select "Group."  You can find more information about recode here.

By the way, if you have phrases that you believe are a single concept, to use your example, "Jesus" + "Christ," you can highlight these in the phrase list and then right-click and "Add Phrase."  This will instruct Text Explorer to consider these as one term; the phrase will disappear from the Phrase list and appear on the Term list.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Re: How to count two terms as one Text Explorer?

Hi,

From the Term list, you can select the terms you would like to combine, right-click, and select "recode."  From there, highlight all the terms and select "Group."  You can find more information about recode here.

By the way, if you have phrases that you believe are a single concept, to use your example, "Jesus" + "Christ," you can highlight these in the phrase list and then right-click and "Add Phrase."  This will instruct Text Explorer to consider these as one term; the phrase will disappear from the Phrase list and appear on the Term list.