cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Have your say in shaping JMP's future by participating in the new JMP Wish List Prioritization Survey
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
DELANDJ1985
Level II

How to convert character date column running APR-14 to JAN-22 into Quarterly (Q1,Q2,Q3,Q4) labels?

In the past I have substracted Month only string (JAN) from Jan-14 and then recoded individual months to new label (JAN) = (Q1). However this tack is very manual, is there a formula i can embed to automate this in the future?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jthi
Super User

Re: How to convert character date column running APR-14 to JAN-22 into Quarterly (Q1,Q2,Q3,Q4) labels?

Create new column and then add this as formula:

Local({month_list = (month_list = {"JAN", "FEB", "MAR", "APR", "MAY", "JUN", "JUL", "AUG", "SEP", "OCT", "NOV", "DEC"})},
			Ceiling(Contains(month_list, Word(1, :MonthYear, "-")) / 3)
		)

Make sure you have correct column name in :MonthYear (in image below it is A)

jthi_0-1642523841339.png

-Jarmo

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
jthi
Super User

Re: How to convert character date column running APR-14 to JAN-22 into Quarterly (Q1,Q2,Q3,Q4) labels?

If you have JMP16 you could first convert the character column to date column with format pattern and then use Quarter function

Names Default To Here(1);

dt = Current Data Table();
Column(dt, 1) << Set Name("MonthYear");
Column(dt, 1) << Data Type(Numeric, 
	Format("Format Pattern", "<Mmm><-><YY>", 35),
	Input Format("Format Pattern", "<Mmm><-><YY>")
);

dt << New Column("Q", Numeric, Ordinal, Formula(Quarter(:MonthYear)));

If you don't have JMP16 you could do "conversion list" of months and then use that instead to get Quarters

Edit:

Formula for JMPs before 16 and no conversion to first column using list of months, contains(), word() and ceiling()

dt << New Column("Q",
	Numeric,
	Ordinal,
	Formula(
		Local({month_list = (month_list = {"JAN", "FEB", "MAR", "APR", "MAY", "JUN", "JUL", "AUG", "SEP", "OCT", "NOV", "DEC"})},
		)
	)
);
-Jarmo
DELANDJ1985
Level II

Appreciate the quick response - I'm on JMP 14 so do not have format pattern. I have added a sample file, could you perhaps show me how to use conversion list?

Thanks!

DELANDJ1985
Level II

DELANDJ1985_0-1642523359094.png

Attempted to apply but perhaps i have input formula with basic error?

jthi
Super User

Create new column and then add this as formula:

)

Make sure you have correct column name in :MonthYear (in image below it is A)

jthi_0-1642523841339.png

-Jarmo
DELANDJ1985
Level II

Thanks Jarmo - the local variable feature is new to me but looks like it could be a game changer if i get the hang of it!