cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
ANLUN
Level I

How to compare paired data sets include the variation on the samples

Feeling i meeting the wall with comparing these two methods I'm testing.

I have 2 methods (1 and 2) both analysed on the same sample. For both methods triplicates have been measured for each sample. So now I want to compare method 1 vs 2 including the know variation to see if statistically significant?

2 REPLIES 2

Re: How to compare paired data sets include the variation on the samples

What is this study, an analytical method comparison? An equivalence study for instrument replacement? Is one of the methods a reference? What do you mean by, "So now I want to compare method 1 vs 2 including the know variation to see if statistically significant?"

Your data is pre-summarized, so you you could use Bivariate platform with the mean and then select Fit Orthogonal to compare the null hypothesis of an intercept = 0 and a slope = 1. You could use Matched Pairs platform if you are looking for a difference in the mean.

I would recommend that you include the individual replicate measurements instead of summarizing the data into the mean and standard deviation. You could use a Fit Least Squares after stacking the measurement columns. The measurement in the Y role and then enter Sample as a random effect.

Hard to say much more given we know practically nothing about your study, your intentions, or your needs.

ron_horne
Super User (Alumni)

Re: How to compare paired data sets include the variation on the samples

Hi @ANLUN 

if you are looking for inspiration from the variety of options for method comparison try this add in: Method Comparison 

Otherwise, we would need to know much more before being able to help.