cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar

How to calculate std deviation of same conditions while doing DOE analysis and enter it to column and plot it in graph builder

Good morning,

I have this DOE data to analyse. Experiment in triplicate. 

1st question: In excel sheet, I can easily calculate the standard deviation of each condition in triplicate (see below first screenshot).  But in JMP, it will not allow me to arrange the data array and calculate like in excel, JMP put all Y (response) in one column including triplicate Y values (see below second screenshot).  I don't know how to calculate the standard deviation of the triplicates of each condition in JMP in a nice and easy way.

2nd question: After calculated the std of each condition, how to put in JMP data sheet as data and do further calculation?  The purpose of me doing this is to use the std dev data to further calculate to see which condition contributes to the std deviation the most.  In other software, especially excel based software, it can be easily done.  But how to do this in JMP?

3rd question: I kind of find a clumsy method to do std dev in JMP, use data "distribution" function did the standard deviation calculation (see below 3rd screenshot). But the std dev data is scattered in each section of conditions, how to extract those data to the DOE data sheet and do further calculation seems still a difficult thing. Does anybody know how to do this in a nice and easy way?

Thank you

ddddd.JPG

ddddd.JPG

ddddd.JPG

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Re: How to calculate std deviation of same conditions while doing DOE analysis and enter it to column and plot it in graph builder

First, create a new column for the replicate. Your data is sorted, so it is easy. Select Cols > New Column and complete this dialog as:

new col.PNG

Now select Tables > Split and complete this dialog as:

split.PNG

At this point, select the three new response columns (1-3) and then right-click on their header, select New Column Formula. There are groups of functions that include Mean and Standard Deviation.

Alternatively, you could use Analyze > Tabulate with the original table. You can save the Tabulate platform as a data table.

View solution in original post

statman
Super User

Re: How to calculate std deviation of same conditions while doing DOE analysis and enter it to column and plot it in graph builder

My thoughts:

1. You have 3 "data points" for each treatment and these are repeated measures (vs. replicates).  First organize the data so the repeats are grouped together in the data table (e.g., sort by Pattern).  Then use Tables>Summary, highlight the Y and click on the statistics button to have JMP calculate the summary statistics (lots of options).  Put the Hammer, Temp and Pressure in the Group box.

2. You will now have a response of std dev to analyze as a Y in Fit Model platform.

3. Easy to do as above.

Screen Shot 2022-03-15 at 12.43.23 PM.png

"All models are wrong, some are useful" G.E.P. Box

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

First, create a new column for the replicate. Your data is sorted, so it is easy. Select Cols > New Column and complete this dialog as:

new col.PNG

Now select Tables > Split and complete this dialog as:

split.PNG

At this point, select the three new response columns (1-3) and then right-click on their header, select New Column Formula. There are groups of functions that include Mean and Standard Deviation.

Alternatively, you could use Analyze > Tabulate with the original table. You can save the Tabulate platform as a data table.

statman
Super User

My thoughts:

1. You have 3 "data points" for each treatment and these are repeated measures (vs. replicates).  First organize the data so the repeats are grouped together in the data table (e.g., sort by Pattern).  Then use Tables>Summary, highlight the Y and click on the statistics button to have JMP calculate the summary statistics (lots of options).  Put the Hammer, Temp and Pressure in the Group box.

2. You will now have a response of std dev to analyze as a Y in Fit Model platform.

3. Easy to do as above.

Screen Shot 2022-03-15 at 12.43.23 PM.png

"All models are wrong, some are useful" G.E.P. Box