cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
KF2
KF2
Level I

How to calculate adjusted variable data ?

Hello, this may be a simple question.

I am trying to analyze e relationship between Adjusted Variable and Variable of Interest. 

I want to calculate adjusted variable data by age and sex.  What JMP function should I use?

2 REPLIES 2
P_Bartell
Level VIII

Re: How to calculate adjusted variable data ?

Before getting to relationships...I'd start with some simple univariate plots of the variables (JMP's Distribution platform is your friend here...) to address the following questions:

For each variable:

1. Where's the middle?

2. How spread out is it?

3. What's the shape look like?

4. Is there anything visually apparent that might make subsequent analysis problematic? Such as missing values, nonsense values, outliers, etc. If so, what do I do next? Exclude, modify, etc.

Then:

Generally speaking, any time you are looking for relationships in data you start with simple bivariate type plots. Several platforms in JMP can work...Fit Y by X, Graph Builder, and the Multivariate platforms are all places to start. The focus of these platforms is visualization of the relationships. For a more analytical numerical approach, the Fit Model platform is a place to start.

statman
Super User

Re: How to calculate adjusted variable data ?

First, welcome to the community.  Just an FYI, if you can provide which JMP version you are running and which OS, that helps.  @P_Bartell  has given you excellent ideas as to how to look at data.  My only additional suggestion is to start with Hypotheses about why and how the variables of interest should or should not be related...then by all means look at the data.  Does the analysis make sense based on your hypotheses (if not, is there something wrong with the data set or is it possible your hypotheses are incorrect)?

"All models are wrong, some are useful" G.E.P. Box