cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
liqinglei419
Level II

How to Post JSON data to a site via API functionality: "Unsupported Media Type"

Hi There,

I am trying to perform a POST request to post some JSON data to a server, but unfortunately as of now I keep getting a 415 error. The goal of this script is to upload a JSON formatted file (or something of the like) to the server for other users to download/read. I noticed that there are very few POST examples with JSL, but quite the abundance with GET, which I have no problems with. I was wondering if anyone else has encountered this sort of error/knows the solution to such a problem. Unfortunately, while I can't show some of the details (namely the server name and API Key), I can provide some of the script that I used to generate the request:

//Create an Associative Array/Dictionary that can be converted to JSON format
aa=Associative Array();
aa<<Insert("Var1",1);
aa<<Insert("Var2",2);
aa<<Insert("Var3",3);

//Send the POST request, using JSON(aa). This yields a 415 error
url="Some URL that would include where to upload and the API key"
request = New HTTP Request(
       URL( url ), // the restAPI endpoint
       Method( "POST" ),
       JSON(aa);
);      
data=request<<Send();
Write(data);

//Version that first converts the associative array/dictionary to a JSON, then performs the POST request. This too, yields a 415 error
json=As JSON Expr(aa);
url="Some URL that would include where to upload and the API key"
request = New HTTP Request(
       URL( url ), // the restAPI endpoint
       Method( "POST" ),
       JSON(json);
);      
data=request<<Send();
Write(data);

So far, my attempts have consistently resulted in the following in the log:

HTTP/1.1 415 Unsupported Media Type
"<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC \!"-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN\!" \!"http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd\!">
<html xmlns=\!"http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml\!">
<head>
<title>
GlassFish Server Open Source Edition 4.1 - Error report
</title>
<style type=\!"text/css\!">
<!--H1 {font-family:Tahoma,Arial,sans-serif;color:white;background-color:#525D76;font-size:22px;} H2 {font-family:Tahoma,Arial,sans-serif;color:white;background-color:#525D76;font-size:16px;} H3 {font-family:Tahoma,Arial,sans-serif;color:white;background-color:#525D76;font-size:14px;} BODY {font-family:Tahoma,Arial,sans-serif;color:black;background-color:white;} B {font-family:Tahoma,Arial,sans-serif;color:white;background-color:#525D76;} P {font-family:Tahoma,Arial,sans-serif;background:white;color:black;font-size:12px;}A {color : black;}HR {color : #525D76;}-->
</style>
</head>
<body>
<h1>HTTP Status 415 - Unsupported Media Type</h1>
<hr/>
<p>
<b>type</b>
Status report</p>
<p>
<b>
Unsupported Media Type
</p>
<p>
<b>
description
</b>
The server refused this request because the request entity is in a format not supported by the requested resource for the requested method.
</p>
<hr/>
<h3>
GlassFish Server Open Source Edition 4.1
</h3>
</body>
</html>"

Once again, if anyone else has experienced this, or knows the solution to such a problem, any help would be much appreciated!

EDIT: I should probably clarify that I am trying to Post onto Dataverse, if that is of any help.

0 REPLIES 0