cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Thierry_S
Super User

How to Derive the Correlation Between Two Continuous Variables with Corrections for Covariates (JMP 16.1, Window 10)?

Hi JMP Community,

This question might be nonsense, so bear with me.

I need to estimate the degree of association between a laboratory measure and a clinical endpoint while considering the effect of age and gender (see attached).

1. I know that the laboratory measure correlates significantly with the clinical endpoint without any correction (Pearson's method)
  2. If I create a simple linear model with the Laboratory Measure, Age, Gender, and their interactions, I confirm the effect of the Laboratory Measure on the Clinical Endpoint and the effect of Age.
  3. However, I have not found an option in the Fit Model platform that will return the corrected correlation ratio for each variable.

Is this a legitimate question, and if it is, is there an option to conduct this type of analysis in JMP 16.1 (not Pro)?

Thank you.

Best,

TS

Thierry R. Sornasse
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Phil_Kay
Staff

Re: How to Derive the Correlation Between Two Continuous Variables with Corrections for Covariates (JMP 16.1, Window 10)?

HI @Thierry_S ,

You might try fitting a model of your endpoint vs the covariates (Age, Gender), then saving the residuals. Then look for the correlation between this "corrected" endpoint and the lab measure using Fit Y by X.

Phil_Kay_1-1669366770466.png

I have attached a version of the table with saved scripts for this analysis.

To be clear: I am not advising that this is the appropriate analysis or that it would be compliant with regulations for your industry.

I hope this helps,

Phil

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Phil_Kay
Staff

Re: How to Derive the Correlation Between Two Continuous Variables with Corrections for Covariates (JMP 16.1, Window 10)?

HI @Thierry_S ,

You might try fitting a model of your endpoint vs the covariates (Age, Gender), then saving the residuals. Then look for the correlation between this "corrected" endpoint and the lab measure using Fit Y by X.

Phil_Kay_1-1669366770466.png

I have attached a version of the table with saved scripts for this analysis.

To be clear: I am not advising that this is the appropriate analysis or that it would be compliant with regulations for your industry.

I hope this helps,

Phil

Thierry_S
Super User

Hi @Phil_Kay 

Thank you for the workaround. This is the approach I imagined I would need to take. In future versions of JMP, it may be possible to conduct this type of analysis within the Fit Model platform.

Thanks.

Best,

TS

Thierry R. Sornasse
Phil_Kay
Staff

I suggest that you add this to the JMP Wish List@Thierry_S .