cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
apeden
Level I

How to Create Double Legends from Row Stat Colors and Markers

How do you create a legend from colours set in the row states of a table? I am trying to create multiple charts using graph builder, the colours of the row information in the data need to be specific so I have set up row state colours. I can generate the charts with the correct colours however I cannot find out how to create a legend using the colours from the row state information!!!

Allan

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
MTOF
Level III

Creating Legend from Row State Colours

Hi Allan

I've had the same problem/wish as you and haven't found a way to do exactly what you're asking.

Instead of row state colors I used Value Colors on the column in question. When adding a Legend to a plot, Value Colors show up as coloring scheme.

Is this of any help??

BR, Marianne

View solution in original post

ms
Super User (Alumni) ms
Super User (Alumni)

In Graph builder (JMP 9) you can get such a double legend, one for markers and another for colors, by dragging the column that is the basis for row state color and marker to both the Legend and Color fields. The same column to both fields.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
MTOF
Level III

Hi Allan

I've had the same problem/wish as you and haven't found a way to do exactly what you're asking.

Instead of row state colors I used Value Colors on the column in question. When adding a Legend to a plot, Value Colors show up as coloring scheme.

Is this of any help??

BR, Marianne

jvb
jvb
Level I

Yes- this was formerly an option in JMP 6, but it no longer exists.  It would be nice to have this feature back.

David_Burnham
Super User (Alumni)

If you use the "Color or Mark by Column" option under the rows menu then it gives you the option to "Make Window with Legend".  If you create an overlay plot, you also have the option to add a "Row Legend" (right-click in the graphics area)

Dave

-Dave
jvb
jvb
Level I

Sorry- wasn't clear before.  The actions you quote can make a legend based on a column, with a color scheme based on the column values.  I'm looking to do something different.

I have a row state column that sets marker of(x) and color of(x) based on category data in columns.  Values in one column (say parameter A) set the marker, and values in another (B) set the color.  This works fine, and fits of X vs. Y or overlay plots maintain the intended markers and colors.

Now, what I want to do is add a legend that maintains the marker and color states- indicating that a certain marker indicates values of A, and colors values of B.  In JMP 6, I could add one legend for the marker, and a second for the color.  There was a check box to "maintain row states" that allowed you to do this.  The marker legend would have black markers, and the color legend would have dots.  This was kind of klunky, but the audience got the message.

This check box is gone in JMP 8, and only built-in color schemes are allowed.  Row state columns don't show up in the "Color or Mark by Column" listbox.  I can select column A or B to set the legend parameters, but this overrides the row state settings that already exist (and has less options).

ms
Super User (Alumni) ms
Super User (Alumni)

In Graph builder (JMP 9) you can get such a double legend, one for markers and another for colors, by dragging the column that is the basis for row state color and marker to both the Legend and Color fields. The same column to both fields.