cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
AGM
AGM
Level I

How do you change graph builder default legend settings?

Hi all,

I have so far been able to alter the default settings of most parts of graph builder - font, marker size, ect.

However, I have been unable to do this for the legend. I essentially use the same legend style for every legend: white back ground, black border, placed somewhere on the graph itself out of the way of the data. That way I can make graphs as large as possible without losing a strip of space to a legend in say a word document.

Is there a way I can set that up as the default setting so I can save myself some time.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
cwillden
Super User (Alumni)

Re: How do you change graph builder default legend settings?

File > Preferences (or Ctrl+K) > Platforms > Graph Builder.  Its the second option at the top:

Preferences.PNG

-- Cameron Willden

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
cwillden
Super User (Alumni)

Hi @AGM,

As far as I can tell, the only preference you can set for the legend and Graph Builder is the legend position.  It would be nice to have that capability.  Might be worthwhile adding that to the wish list.

-- Cameron Willden
AGM
AGM
Level I

Hi

That would be one less thing to do, how do you do it?

I couldn't how to do it in the preferences last time I checked.

Thanks

cwillden
Super User (Alumni)

File > Preferences (or Ctrl+K) > Platforms > Graph Builder.  Its the second option at the top:

Preferences.PNG

-- Cameron Willden
AGM
AGM
Level I

Thanks for your help, that worked for the legend position.

I'll give it a day or so, if no-one comes up with any more suggestions then I'll put you response as the answer.

Stefan
Level III

Hi @AGM, had the same problem, I need the legend to be by default on top left, horizontal layout and without title. I managed to do it by creating a button that applies these three options at once to the "current graph". I have to press the button for every new graph (or you can give it a shortcut), but helps me a lot. The code is based on various tutorials, and some of it may be redundant, but I was in a hurry, once I got it to work I didn't touch it...:) 

• JMP-create menu items and toolbar buttons
  • insert the code below in the "run this JSL" box when creating a button 
  • local({first_gb},
    	Try(
    		first_gb = (Current Window() << XPath( "//OutlineBox[@helpKey = 'Graph Builder']" ))[1] << Get Scriptable Object;
    		first_gb << show legend (!(Report(first_gb)[LegendBox( 1 )] << Set Title( "" );););
    		));

local({first_gb},
    	Try(
    		first_gb = (Current Window() << XPath( "//OutlineBox[@helpKey = 'Graph Builder']" ))[1] << Get Scriptable Object;
    		first_gb << show legend (!(Report(first_gb)[LegendBox( 1 )] << Orientation( "horizontal" );););
    		)
    	);

local({first_gb},
    	Try(
    		first_gb << Legend Position( "Inside Left" );););
    Any issues or feedback, let me know