cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar

How do I sort data individually in a column when the data is given as a group?

The data I am looking at is movies and one of the columns is genres. However JMP has the genres that a particular movie is categorized under grouped as one data set "Fantasy|Horror|Romance|Thriller" rather than as individual movie genres "Fantasy", "Horror", "Romance", "Thriller". I want to separate the genre column so that I can analyze the genres individually. How would I clean the data so that when I go to sort the movies based on genre it gives me the individual genre rather than the grouped set?

2ae7a1f5682288af0a54faee2b558b68.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
txnelson
Super User

Re: How do I sort data individually in a column when the data is given as a group?

Click on the column header for the column in question(genres).  Then go to the column pull down menu and select

Cols=>Utilities=>Text to Columns

Fill out the simple dialog box that pops up to specify your "|"

txnelson_1-1648353801488.png

and click OK, and the different fields from the multiple field column will be separated into new columns.

txnelson_2-1648356183265.png

Note: This is a data table I just threw together.  The genres are just random values

Now just go to 

Tables=>Stack

and stack all of the new genres columns

This will give you a table that actually will give you a nice way to select Genres.

txnelson_3-1648356385425.png

You can also go another step, and split the data

Tables=>Split

Where you Split By the Genres column, Group by the Title column, and also specify the Genres column as the Split column

It will give you a data table like the one below

txnelson_4-1648356597287.png

If this doesn't meet your requirements, please specify what you want the data table to look like, and I am sure the Community can come up with an answer on how to transform your data.

Jim

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
txnelson
Super User

Re: How do I sort data individually in a column when the data is given as a group?

Click on the column header for the column in question(genres).  Then go to the column pull down menu and select

Cols=>Utilities=>Text to Columns

Fill out the simple dialog box that pops up to specify your "|"

txnelson_1-1648353801488.png

and click OK, and the different fields from the multiple field column will be separated into new columns.

txnelson_2-1648356183265.png

Note: This is a data table I just threw together.  The genres are just random values

Now just go to 

Tables=>Stack

and stack all of the new genres columns

This will give you a table that actually will give you a nice way to select Genres.

txnelson_3-1648356385425.png

You can also go another step, and split the data

Tables=>Split

Where you Split By the Genres column, Group by the Title column, and also specify the Genres column as the Split column

It will give you a data table like the one below

txnelson_4-1648356597287.png

If this doesn't meet your requirements, please specify what you want the data table to look like, and I am sure the Community can come up with an answer on how to transform your data.

Jim