cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Benson
Level II

How do I perform correlation in JMP but data is Not one-to-one correspondence?

In this case, I  would like to know if there is any correlation between Ra(Copper roughness) and Chemical(HCL). Therefore, I use Graph Builder to draw 2 smoother line as below. I am wondering is there any way to do correlation-coefficint calculation/analysis, and how do I arrange these data?

Graph Builder.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
gzmorgan0
Super User (Alumni)

Re: How do I perform correlation in JMP but data is Not one-to-one correspondence?

I looked at your attached file. There is a 3rd column named SN (tin?).  SN is only 1 when HCL is collected. Ra is collected with SN of 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5.  There was a little variation in RA for different levels of SN, so I subsetted just the rows where SN==1. The data is not collected at the same time of day.  But  I saw no variation by time of day. 

JMP correlation needs matched data or imputed data.  Instead of correlation, look at the time trends of Ra and HCL concentration with an exponentially weighted moving average. Ra looks like it has been trending down, while HCL concentation has different periods. Create a column for the day and summarize Ra and HCL by day. Then use Bivariate as Jim suggested. The results are below.  Note the means of the control charts and teh means of the correlation are not identical, since the means on the control charts are using all the data and teh correlation is the mean of the daily means.

image.pngimage.png

image.png

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
txnelson
Super User

Re: How do I perform correlation in JMP but data is Not one-to-one correspondence?

You need to use the Fit Y by X Platform

Analyze==>Fit Y by X

There you will be able to specify a multitude of lines, including the Kernal Smoother.  It will give you the R-Square

smoother.PNG

Jim
gzmorgan0
Super User (Alumni)

I looked at your attached file. There is a 3rd column named SN (tin?).  SN is only 1 when HCL is collected. Ra is collected with SN of 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5.  There was a little variation in RA for different levels of SN, so I subsetted just the rows where SN==1. The data is not collected at the same time of day.  But  I saw no variation by time of day. 

JMP correlation needs matched data or imputed data.  Instead of correlation, look at the time trends of Ra and HCL concentration with an exponentially weighted moving average. Ra looks like it has been trending down, while HCL concentation has different periods. Create a column for the day and summarize Ra and HCL by day. Then use Bivariate as Jim suggested. The results are below.  Note the means of the control charts and teh means of the correlation are not identical, since the means on the control charts are using all the data and teh correlation is the mean of the daily means.

image.pngimage.png

image.png

Benson
Level II

Hi Jim, gzmorgan0

Many thanks for your answers.

1. The daily means

2. Bivariate

:)