cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Harigovind
Level I

How do I normalize multiple curves using JMP?

I have an XPS data with multiple curves based on different conditions. I want to normalize so that it can be compared. Attaching image as an example. Can something like be done using JMP? 

JMP version 16.0

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
MRB3855
Super User

Re: How do I normalize multiple curves using JMP?

Hi @Harigovind : Perhaps this:  For each X, try the following,

(:X - Col Mean( :X )) / Col Std Dev( :X ) + Col Mean( :X )

This will result in each having a common spread (SD =1), but the means will be shifted apart as your plot shows. 

In a column formula, it would look like the following:

MRB3855_0-1692802004944.png

Further...say you want them all to have the same spread (SD) as one of them. For example, if I have X1 and X2, and I want to shift and scale X2 so it has the same SD as X1, but a different mean (as you want to show). Leave X1 as it is, then shift and scale X2 as follows:

MRB3855_0-1692878484932.png

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
MRB3855
Super User

Hi @Harigovind : Perhaps this:  For each X, try the following,

(:X - Col Mean( :X )) / Col Std Dev( :X ) + Col Mean( :X )

This will result in each having a common spread (SD =1), but the means will be shifted apart as your plot shows. 

In a column formula, it would look like the following:

MRB3855_0-1692802004944.png

Further...say you want them all to have the same spread (SD) as one of them. For example, if I have X1 and X2, and I want to shift and scale X2 so it has the same SD as X1, but a different mean (as you want to show). Leave X1 as it is, then shift and scale X2 as follows:

MRB3855_0-1692878484932.png

You might try the built-in transforms in the Functional Data Explorer if you have JMP Pro.