cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
christiant
Level I

How do I do a two sample proportion hypothesis test?

I want to see if the two proportions in the attached image are statistically different. 

Even with the standard deviation unknown, I could calculate this easily by hand. However, I am not sure of the process on setting up a two proportion hypothesis test nor can I figure it out.

Someone please help me, thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
txnelson
Super User

Re: How do I do a two sample proportion hypothesis test?

1. The Two Sample Proportion is available in the Statistics Index under the Help Pull Down Menu2samp1.PNG
  2. In the example shown, the data table is in the raw form, having all of the individual measurements, rather than the counts being summarized as in your data. So your data needs to be setup like below.  Note there are not any "All Males" cells.  What I assume you really want are Obese and Non Obese cells2samp2.PNG
  3. To analyze the data you need to use the Fit Y by X platform, available from the Analyze Pull Down Menu or from the Analysis Icons located just above the data table2samp2b.PNG
  4. It will open the below dialog window, and then you populate it as shown2samp3.PNG
  5. Which will give you the following results2samp4.PNG
  6. Help on any of the sections of the output can be accessed by just selecting the "?" tool from the tool bar and then clicking on whatever section of the display you are needing help on.
  7. I strongly suggest you take the time to read the Discovering JMP and Using JMP documents from the JMP Documentation Library, found under the Help Pull Down Menu
Jim

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
txnelson
Super User

1. The Two Sample Proportion is available in the Statistics Index under the Help Pull Down Menu2samp1.PNG
  2. In the example shown, the data table is in the raw form, having all of the individual measurements, rather than the counts being summarized as in your data. So your data needs to be setup like below.  Note there are not any "All Males" cells.  What I assume you really want are Obese and Non Obese cells2samp2.PNG
  3. To analyze the data you need to use the Fit Y by X platform, available from the Analyze Pull Down Menu or from the Analysis Icons located just above the data table2samp2b.PNG
  4. It will open the below dialog window, and then you populate it as shown2samp3.PNG
  5. Which will give you the following results2samp4.PNG
  6. Help on any of the sections of the output can be accessed by just selecting the "?" tool from the tool bar and then clicking on whatever section of the display you are needing help on.
  7. I strongly suggest you take the time to read the Discovering JMP and Using JMP documents from the JMP Documentation Library, found under the Help Pull Down Menu
Jim
christiant
Level I

Wow thank you so much