cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Submit your abstract to the call for content for Discovery Summit Americas by April 23. Selected abstracts will be presented at Discovery Summit, Oct. 21- 24.
Discovery is online this week, April 16 and 18. Join us for these exciting interactive sessions.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
twillkickers
Level III

How do I create two side-by-side Perato charts? (each ordered from greatest to least)

Please see the attached photograph for an example of what I want to do. I want to use graph builder to display two perato charts side-by-side when the data is broken into several categories. However, when I currently try to do this (as can be seen in the attached screenshot) JMP orders the bars by using the total amount of occurances, instead of by ordering from greatest to least for each individual category.graph_question.png

2 REPLIES 2
gzmorgan0
Super User (Alumni)

Re: How do I create two side-by-side Perato charts? (each ordered from greatest to least)

GraphBuilder is powerful, but it has a few quirks. One of the quirks is that it tries to maintain the same axis settings for the groups. From your graph, it appears that Category( A or B) is an X grouping variable and Machine is your X variable and you are using bars. As you noted you can click on the X axis and select order by Count descending, however, the order of Category B will be the same order of Category A.

There might be a control sequence to order each Category, maybe a JMP expert can help. A wish list item would be to separate group axes.  The only way I know how to get separate X axes (side by side) is to have two different variables.  This can be done interactively, by using a Transform Column() it takes a bit of clicking and renaming.  Here is the picture created using this method with Big Class.

image.png

• Main Menu, GraphBuilder
  • Right click on Machine, select Transform>Formula the formula would be If(:Category=="A", :Machine). Transform(Machine) is now in the list of Columns. Right click and rename it to Machine (A).
  • Do this again to create a new column/variable Machine (B).
  • Now drag Machine (A) to the X-axis, then drag Machine (B) to the right of Machine (A) on the X -axis so they are now two separate axes.  
  • Now make Category a color or drag Category below each of the 2 X-axis variables. 

Otherwise you would need to restructure your table.

Attached is a script using Big Class.jmp. Here :sex is the role of your column Category, and :age plays the role of your column Machine.  Run the script to see the results. i find this easier to do via a script.

If you are not familiar with JSL, just change the corresponding columns, make your table the current data table and try it. This script was tested on JMP 12, 13 and 14.

I am anxious to see if there is a simple way to order independently by Group.

txnelson
Super User

Re: How do I create two side-by-side Perato charts? (each ordered from greatest to least)

I think you may want to look directly at the Pareto Plot Platform available in JMP

Analyze==>Quality and Process==>Pareto Plot

While it has the same starting limitation of using the same order in both Pareto Plots, which by the way, many prefer, because it allows for less confusing comparisons for the groups, 

pareto1.PNG

A very simple script can turn the graph into exactly what you want

Names Default To Here( 1 );
dt = Open( "$SAMPLE_DATA/Big Class.jmp" );

New Window( "Pareto Plots",
	H List Box(
		Pareto Plot( Cause( :age ), Where( :sex == "F" ) ),
		Pareto Plot( Cause( :age ), Where( :sex == "M" ) )
	)
);

pareto2.PNG

Jim