cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
mdawson69
Level IV

How do I change the size of the x-axis labels in the Fit Y to X (Oneway) Platform?

I have a script that generates the graph below:

Screen Shot 2018-10-12 at 16.10.39.png

While I was able to right-click onn the Y-axis to change the font size, doing the same on the X-axis only provides the following options:

• Rotated Tick Labels
  • Tick Marks ▸
  • Lower Frame
  • Edit ▸

So there is no Axis Settings… or Font… option that will allow me to change the X-axis labels to the size I want. As I am generating these graphs from scripts, I figure I might be able to do this in JSL, but while there are some display element references that are not named and therefore make no sense, such as the script I saved to the data table from the report above:

Oneway(
	Y(:Read Rate),
	X(:Replicate),
	All Pairs(1),
	Comparison Circles(0),
	Unequal Variances(1),
	Std Dev Lines(0),
	Points(0),
	Mean Diamonds(1),
	Comparison Circles(0),
	X Axis Proportional(0),
	Grand Mean(0),
	SendToReport(
		Dispatch(
			{},
			"1",
			ScaleBox,
			{Format("Percent", 9, 0), Add Ref Line(
				"Solid",
				{255, 0, 0},
				"",
			), Label Row(
				{Show Major Grid(1), Show Minor Grid(1), Set Font Size(14)}
			)}
		),
		Dispatch(
			{},
			"Read Rate",
			TextEditBox,
			{Set Font Size(20), Set Text("Mean Read Rate")}
		),
		Dispatch(
			{},
			"Oneway Plot",
			FrameBox,
			{Frame Size(704, 536), DispatchSeg(
				CustomStreamSeg(2),
				{Line Color({64, 105, 156})}
			)}
		),
		Dispatch({}, "Replicate", TextEditBox, {Set Font Size(20)})
	)
)

The Dispatches for Read Rate and Oneway Plot clue me into what I am working with, but the first displatch is for display element 1. 🤦🏽‍:male_sign: The same occurs in my scripts for Graph Builder that have the very descriptive display element named 400. :face_with_rolling_eyes:

Is there a way to modify the size of the X-axis labels in the Oneway plot?

9 REPLIES 9
susan_walsh1
Staff (Retired)

Re: How do I change the size of the x-axis labels in the Fit Y to X (Oneway) Platform?

You can change the size of the text on all axes in JMP using JMP Preferences. On a Windows machine, select File => Preferences, on a Mac JMP => Preferences. In the Preference Group select Fonts and then change the font for the Axis.

mdawson69
Level IV

Re: How do I change the size of the x-axis labels in the Fit Y to X (Oneway) Platform?

Thanks, Susan.

I do have preset sizes in my JMP Preferences, but for scripting I want to have explicit definitions, as the axis labels and titles may need to be sized differently for certain graphs. For my puposes, this is particularly important for scripts that I provide to co-workers, many of whom are not as well-versed in JMP as I am, and based on their backgrounds and responsibilites, may never be. Or, in my case, having to constantly disrupt my workflow to go into JMP Preferences until I find a suitable size for axis labels and titles; I always have to consider how any graphic will appear in reports my company generates.

mdawson69
Level IV

I have the same issue in the Chart platform.

Screen Shot 2018-10-12 at 18.20.22.png

Right-clicking on the x-axis and selecting Axis Settings… generates a very limited dialog box:

Screen Shot 2018-10-12 at 18.21.46.png

No settings for the axis labels or the axis title. As powerful as JMP is as a data visualization and analysis tool—which is not a surprise for SAS’ little sibling—the inconsistencies in graph settings across platforms is perplexing and often exasperating. 🤯

txnelson
Super User

The issue is that the X axis is not a numeric, continuous column. 

Jim
mdawson69
Level IV

Thanks txnelson.

I did some testing based on what you stated and found that in the Fit Y by X platform, the ability to modify the x-axis labels and titles is dependent upon the data’s modeling type. In the Chart platform the x-axis labels ans title could not be modified for any modeling type. Axis label and title size is mutually exclusive of the type of data being presented, so I have to wonder what the history behind this paradigm is in JMP.

XanGregg
Staff

The axis for Oneway is being updated to have the full complement of axis settings. In the mean time, you can use the global axis font setting in preferences or replicate the graph in Graph Builder.
gzmorgan0
Super User (Alumni)

As an FYI to Xan's last post, here is an example of how to do this in JSL.

Names Default to Here(1);

usr = get preferences("Axis Font");
Preferences(Axis Font( "Segoe UI", 11, "Bold" ));

dt = Open("$sample_data/semiconductor capability.jmp");

onew = dt <<Oneway( Y( :NPN1 ), X( :lot_id ) );
wait(10);
//After you have saved and closed your windows, run the next line
usr;
mdawson69
Level IV

Thanks gzmorgan0. That code looks like it could be a interim solution.

mdawson69
Level IV

“The axis for Oneway is being updated to have the full complement of axis settings.”

Good to know. I sent an e-mail to JMP support a few years back with regard to having uniform interface for customizing the numerous facets of graphs across all JMP platforms that generate graphs. While my work only involves a few JMP platforms, from what I do use—Graph Builder, Chart, and Oneway—the differences in graphing features is not unexpected, but the difference in how each of those platforms handles modifying similar aspects of graphs seem to range from minor to major. Granted, I know that any feature change or addition on JMP’s front-end will also require updating JSL, which takes time to implement and test.