cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
AE9999
Level III

How do I Enable Interaction Plots?

I am trying to run interactions on my DOE and the option to do this under the Response > Factor Profiling is grayed out and I cannot select.  I changed default to "Supress Cotter Designs" and still no luck.  It does not even work on the "Reactors" example that JMP provides in the Help library for the specific reason of showing how to do Interaction plots. 

Any suggestions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: How do I Enable Interaction Plots?

If you wish to estimate interactions, when you are specifying design you need to tell JMP that your model has interactions. You chose a Screening design. That coupled with the high number of levels for the categorical factors will prevent the estimation of interactions. Screening designs are not intended to estimate interactions in most cases. Screening designs are for identifying main effects.

Using your factors and response, I chose to make a Custom Design. I specified that I wanted a model with all main effects and all 2-way interactions. This will require a minimum of 262 runs (280 runs recommended), as Lou Valente noted. However, WHERE those 262 runs are placed is important. Screening designs may not place the runs in a spot that allows the estimation of the interactions (see above of the goal of a screening design).

I simulated response data for the 280 run design (the recommended number). I have attached that data table. When you analyze the data, you should see that your interaction plots are indeed active.

Dan Obermiller

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17

If your model doesn't include any interactions then that option would be grayed out.  It's only available when the model contains interaction terms A*B, B*C, etc.  If you can share an anonymized version of your data set or some screenshots we might be able to help figure out what's going on. 

Best,

M

AE9999
Level III

Thanks very much for you quick suggestion. I do not have those in the
model, which I've attached. Really appreciate you offering to assist!

There's no attachment.
AE9999
Level III

Strange.  It was in my sent items.  I'm sending this directly from forum, instead of from email, so hopefully that helps.

Jeff_Perkinson
Community Manager Community Manager

Unfortunately, attachments in email aren't supported by the forums. I wish they were.

-Jeff
AE9999
Level III

Thank you for letting me know

Peter_Bartell
Level VIII

As my colleague Mike Anderson suggested, if I run the Model script you have in the data table, you have specified a main effects only model. If you add interaction effect terms to the model, the interaction plots option within Effect Screening within the report will 'turn on'.

AE9999
Level III

I guess the issue I'm having is I do not know how to add interaction effect terms to the model.  How is that done?  I attached a simple model I just created, only 1 run, but still see only Main Effects Screening.

Okay - I found your problem.  The design you created isn't set up to look at interactions.   If you notice in the data table in the upper left corner it says "Design    Main Effects Screening."  This suggests that back when you were setting up the design in the screening design platform you selected a design that was unable to fit interactions (probably due to the number of runs).  

You could add the interactions in when you open the model dialog in the data table manually.  But, since the design wasn't set up to explore these interactions, you'd want to check and make sure it was able to do so (check the aliasing, power, etc.).

Hope that helps!

Best,

M