cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
djgomes1120
Level I

How can i overlay standard deviations onto a histogram?

I'm trying to overlay a normal distribution with standard deviations from the mean onto a histogram. Attached as an example of something similar to what I'd like to create.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: How can i overlay standard deviations onto a histogram?

You can do what you are asking using the axis settings.

1. Create your histogram
  2. Right click on the axis and select "axis settings..."  In the lower right of the settings dialog there is an area called "reference lines." 
  3. Select the check box labeled "allow ranges."
  4. For +1 Std Dev you would enter the mean of the distribution in the min value field, and the std deviation value in the max value field.
  5. Give it a label and pick a color you like.  The percentage field beside the color field adjusts the transparency of the range marker that will appear.
  6. Click add to get a preview of what it will look like at the bottom of the dialog menu.
  7. Repeat with any other ranges you want.
  8. Click OK

Best,

M

11094_Distribution.png

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

You can do what you are asking using the axis settings.

1. Create your histogram
  2. Right click on the axis and select "axis settings..."  In the lower right of the settings dialog there is an area called "reference lines." 
  3. Select the check box labeled "allow ranges."
  4. For +1 Std Dev you would enter the mean of the distribution in the min value field, and the std deviation value in the max value field.
  5. Give it a label and pick a color you like.  The percentage field beside the color field adjusts the transparency of the range marker that will appear.
  6. Click add to get a preview of what it will look like at the bottom of the dialog menu.
  7. Repeat with any other ranges you want.
  8. Click OK

Best,

M

11094_Distribution.png

frecxc
Level I

Is there a way to automatically populate the standard deviations based on the given data set I'm working with?

I would like to be able to run a script that creates a historgram with this overlay.

You could interactvely follow the instructions in the accepted solution for a particular case. Save the script from the platform with the results you want. Modify the script to extract the sample statistics estimates and then substitute them into the expressions for the reference region parameters. That approach seems reasonable.