cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New to using JMP? Hit the ground running with the Early User Edition of Discovery Summit. Register now, free of charge.
Register for our Discovery Summit 2024 conference, Oct. 21-24, where you’ll learn, connect, and be inspired.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
paulp
Level III

How can I use spectroscopy to predict the amount of a substance?

Hello, I have a rather generic spectroscopy question, I’m hoping someone can advise me on how to use JMP.

The analytical chemist wants to predict the ppb of a substance, based on the spectroscopy profile. 

I fit a Multivariate Curve Resolution model and it fit well. This option is available in Functional Data Explorer.

How can this model be used in the future to predict the ppb, given a table of excitation/wavelength values from spectroscopy?

Thanks, Paul

Model

paulp_0-1719957727695.png

Raw Data

paulp_1-1719957727713.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Victor_G
Super User

Re: How can I use spectroscopy to predict the amount of a substance?

Hi @paulp,

You might find my previous answer to the same topic in this post :Functional Data Analysis and Classification: How to calculate FPC of new data (unseen by the origina...

Basically the new rows/data can be entered as validation or test rows, so that your original model remains the same, and so you could calculate the predicted response for the validation/test rows.

Note that if you're using Functional DOE Analysis, you have an option to save Prediction formula directly in your table : 

Victor_G_0-1719996999737.png

Hope this answer will help you,

Victor GUILLER
Scientific Expertise Engineer
L'Oréal - Data & Analytics

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Victor_G
Super User

Hi @paulp,

You might find my previous answer to the same topic in this post :Functional Data Analysis and Classification: How to calculate FPC of new data (unseen by the origina...

Basically the new rows/data can be entered as validation or test rows, so that your original model remains the same, and so you could calculate the predicted response for the validation/test rows.

Note that if you're using Functional DOE Analysis, you have an option to save Prediction formula directly in your table : 

Victor_G_0-1719996999737.png

Hope this answer will help you,

Victor GUILLER
paulp
Level III

Hello Victor, thank you for your reply.  Saving the Prediction Formula did work with the Fourier Basis, and the fit was good.   

Initially the model used in FDE was Multivariate Curve Resolution which also fit well - but seems it doesn't provide the Prediction Formula. When I save the Prediction Formula, that new column appears to be empty in the data table. 

paulp_2-1720034972827.png

paulp_1-1720034949151.png

Victor_G
Super User

Hi @paulp,

Not directly related to your question, but did you try the Wavelets models family for your spectroscopic data ?

If not, I would considere giving it a try, as it performs quite well on spectral data.

Concerning the MCR, I can't help you since I don't seem to have this option (yet), I'm with JMP Pro 17.2.0 version and MCR seems to be an option from JMP 18.

Maybe someone from JMP technical staff could help you figure out where does the error comes from : @Bill_Worley@JeremyAshJMP @chris_gotwalt1 ?

Victor GUILLER